Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

Hopeful editorial on Immigration Reform.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Annoyed

Hopeful editorial on Immigration Reform. Empty
PostSubject: Hopeful editorial on Immigration Reform.   Hopeful editorial on Immigration Reform. EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 8:58 am

This is an encouraging editorial, I hope it's accurate.

As far as I'm concerned, the only acceptable "immigration reform" is a serious, concerted effort by federal & local authorities to locate every single person in this country illegally by whatever means necessary and immediate deportation upon detection. No excuses, no felgercarb. Out the door.

At the same time, we must establish control over our borders & entry points. Again, by whatever means necessary, fences, guard towers, moats, whatever. I don't care. Whatever is needed, do the job.

If someone wants to migrate to this country, fine. We are a country of immigrants. But it must be done by following the established laws governing the process. If someone who was deported wishes to return, they must get in line like everyone else. And of course, their criminal past (being here illegally) will be considered when evaluating their application. Do we really want someone coming here whose first act in coming here was disregard and breaking our laws?

Going even further, perhaps our allowed numbers and quotas & exceptions need to be revisited as well. Our economy is not producing enough jobs for our own citizens. And I'm not talking about low wage/skill jobs such as fruitpicking or flipping hamburgers. Is it in our best interests to allow companies such as Microsoft, Intel and others to import workers rather than hiring our own workers in order to apply downward pressure on wages?

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/304541-microsoft-intel-qualcomm-push-for-immigration-reform-ahead-of-senate-debate-

From: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/14/editorial-farewell-to-amnesty/

I hope the Republican congresscritters are waking up and starting to smell the coffee, as this editorial suggests
Quote :
President Obama’s relentless bridge-burning strategy to get his way on the budget and health care legislation turns out to have an unexpected advantage for Republicans still smarting from the sting of defeat at the hand of the president. They might not be interested in surrendering to another licking on another big-ticket legislative item.

House Speaker John A. Boehner pronounced the death of the Senate’s amnesty legislation, to nobody’s surprise. “The idea that we’re going to take up a 1,300-page bill that no one had ever read,” the speaker said Wednesday, “which is what the Senate did, is not going to happen in the House.” Lest there be any room for doubt, he added read-my-lips assurance. “I’ll make it clear, we have no intention of ever going to conference on the Senate bill.”

Mr. Boehner made his announcement several hours after two backers of the Senate amnesty bill attempted to ruin breakfast at his favorite Capitol Hill diner. The Fair Immigration Reform Movement sent two teenage “Dreamers,” video camera in hand, to confront the speaker and his bacon and eggs with heartstring-tugging stories of how their parents are at risk of deportation without an amnesty. Mr. Boehner listened politely and sent them on their way with his good wishes. The would-be sandbaggers persuaded the speaker only that he should put an end to speculation about the prospects of the amnesty bill in the House.

Republican members of the Gang of Eight are having second thoughts about their participation in the amnesty campaign, too. Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida was first to back away. Sen. John McCain, perhaps the most dedicated Republican fan of amnesty, showed signs of second thoughts Wednesday at the confirmation hearing for Jeh C. Johnson as head of the Department of Homeland Security. Mr. Johnson lost Mr. McCain’s support when he declined to provide detailed information on what Customs and Border Protection needs to provide “90 percent” control of the U.S.-Mexican border.

The clock is rapidly running out on a session of Congress that must revisit negotiations on the continuing resolution on the budget, the debt limit, the farm bill and other matters. There isn’t enough time before the end of the year to consider even the narrowly tailored immigration-reform bills already cleared by House committees. The Senate bill would follow all that.

Some of the backers of amnesty profess to be worried about the future of Republicans. (Who knew?) Frank Sharry of the pro-amnesty America’s Voice says “the future of the GOP depends on what the House Republican leadership decides to do on immigration reform.” This concern by liberals like Mr. Sharry may, or may not, touch the speaker’s heart, but it’s not persuasive. The more perceptive Republicans understand that Democrats regard amnesty as the key to importing millions of Democratic votes.

The Gang of Eight will likely come alive again next year, but not without first recruiting one or two or even three new gangbangers. Given the election-year realities, amnesty is not likely to get to the Oval Office next year, either. The Gang of Eight has been exposed as the gang that can’t shoot straight. So far they’ve put a hole only in amnesty.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

Hopeful editorial on Immigration Reform. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hopeful editorial on Immigration Reform.   Hopeful editorial on Immigration Reform. EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Annoyed wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, the only acceptable "immigration reform" is a serious, concerted effort by federal & local authorities to locate every single person in this country illegally by whatever means necessary and immediate deportation upon detection. No excuses, no felgercarb. Out the door.
Here, here. And I'd add, any foreigner that is caught here illegally, or who has broken any other law in the US, should be disqualified to ever come back legally or apply for citizenship.
Back to top Go down

Hopeful editorial on Immigration Reform.
Page 1 of 1