Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Walterth3rd

Walterth3rd

QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... Empty
PostSubject: QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers...   QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... EmptyFri May 07, 2010 4:38 pm

So the 5 students in CA were sent home for wearing American flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo. My question is this. Did the high school raise the American flag on their flag pole on Cinco de Mayo?? Or did they refuse to do it because it would be too incendiary? My guess is that they did in fact raise the American flag on their flag pole.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers...   QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... EmptyFri May 07, 2010 5:13 pm

Am I missing something here? What does Cinco de Mayo have to do with the US flag? When is it ever NOT right to wear/fly a US flag in this country?
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers...   QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... EmptyFri May 07, 2010 5:32 pm

To add more to this story. Mexican gang members have threatened the lives of those students that wore the American flag. The school is looking into it. This country has gone nuts and I believe they did fly both flags.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
Walterth3rd

Walterth3rd

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers...   QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... EmptySat May 08, 2010 4:12 pm

POV, I've been out of the military for a while, but isn't also disrespectful to wear the flag as an outfit? Just wondering is all. I believe, at worst, those kids should have been sent to the office for the time it took to reach their parents and move from there. In addition to that, a conference should have been called for the whole school explaining to ALL the students (and staff) what living in America truly means, how each of us should respect the country, and more than that, the right for others to celebrate the way THEY want to celebrate. We are still a FREE country and it should have been shown through how the staff reacted that that is true.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers...   QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... EmptySat May 08, 2010 5:45 pm

Well people have been wearing the flag in bikini's shirts forever. I have no problem with that. But then again I think it should be legal to burn the flag. Because as soon as we make it illegal we lose freedom of speech. But saying that I have no respect for those that burn it. I have a great story on that.

Some people decided to burn the flag on campus. But that was not the lead story in the school newspaper. Remember this is a college. The lead story was the ROTC kid that picked up the flag in his uniform folded it and then contacted the military on the proper destruction of the flag. The main picture was the kid holding the flag to his chest.

What was funny was the idiots that tried to burn the flag did not realize that the flag was fire retardant and did not burn bahahaha. Maybe that was omen that America will survive.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers...   QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... EmptySat May 08, 2010 7:42 pm

Walterth3rd wrote:
...isn't also disrespectful to wear the flag as an outfit?

Depends. If it is a flag on clothing, or a picture of a flag on a clothing, it's fine. If it's clothing made out of a flag it's disrespectful.

QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... Black-and-white-flag-tshirt

This is fine.

QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... American_flag_bikini

This is disrespectful.

QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... All-american-indian-flag

This is disrespectful. You shouldn't put any other image, or saying, onto a flag.

QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... Deer-W-Flag-T-Shirt--Animal-Lovers-Tshirts-A11407B-hv

This is ok because it isn't a flag, but a picture of a flag with another image in forground.

Of course some other things are still disrespectful, like a flag on underwear. Or a picture of a flag on a shirt paired with something disrespectful.

EDIT: Here's another disrespectful image. Wearing a flag as clothing, and letting it touch the ground.

QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... 716146990_f881531ff8
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers...   QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... EmptySat May 08, 2010 8:05 pm

Found a pic of the kids in question.

QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... 0505lostudents

First off none of this clothing is in any way disrespectful of Mexicans or anybody else.

Now as far as the clothing itself goes.

Kid 1: Shirt is fine. Shorts are fine since they aren't made out of a flag and they are outer wear not underwear.

Kid 2+3: Appear to be ok. Shirts not made out of flags. Can't tell what the words say, but assuming they don't say anything disrespectful, there's nothing wrong with them.

Kid 4: Some may debate this one. Shirt kind of gives the appearance of being made out of a flag. But you can see that it is printed on graphic... Myself I'd say it's ok, but I wouldn't disagree with somebody who thinks the opposite.

But as I've already said, none of these clothes are offensive to Mexicans or other peoples. And even if they somehow are, too bad. This is the US after all.
Back to top Go down
Walterth3rd

Walterth3rd

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers...   QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... EmptySun May 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanks for the update and photos. As to kid #4, his shirt isn't made of a flag, it is a graphic, a rather large on, but still a graphic (I think). Anyway, that is what I wondered. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers...   QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers... Empty

Back to top Go down

QUESTION, and yes, I expect REAL answers...
Page 1 of 1