Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

Do not join the military.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Do not join the military.  Empty
PostSubject: Do not join the military.    Do not join the military.  EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 3:41 pm

Tell your friends and family if they are thinking about joining the military DO NOT DO IT. Obama the democrats and republicans have joined forces and decided to wage war on the military and retired veterans. Effectively all 3 have destroyed tricare.

In an effort to cut defense spending, the Obama Administration plans to cut health benefits for active duty and retired military personnel and their families while not touching the benefits enjoyed by unionized civilian defense workers.

The move, congressional aides suggested, is to force those individuals into Obamacare, Bill Gertz reported at the Washington Beacon.

Gertz added:

Not everybody is happy with the plan, however.

Military personnel would see their annual Tricare premiums increase anywhere from 30 – 78 percent in the first year, followed by sharply increased premiums “ranging from 94 percent to 345 percent—more than 3 times current levels.”

“According to congressional assessments, a retired Army colonel with a family currently paying $460 a year for health care will pay $2,048,” Gertz wrote.

Active duty military personnel would also see an increased cost for pharmaceuticals, and the incentive to use less expensive generic drugs would be gone.

Health benefits has long been a prime reason many stay in the military – but some in the Pentagon fear the new rules will hamper recruitment and retention.

“Would you stay with a car insurance company that raised your premiums by 345 percent in five years? Probably not,” one aide said.

John Hayward of Human Events adds:

Others are concerned about the double standard being set between uniformed military personnel – who are not unionized – and civilian defense workers who belong to public sector unions.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
Annoyed

PostSubject: Re: Do not join the military.    Do not join the military.  EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Well, this one's a no-brainer. Most unions support the LSoS. Most active servicemen & women don't.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Do not join the military.    Do not join the military.  EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 10:02 pm

Seriously, who can afford to join the military?

Base pay is $1,516.20 a month before taxes. Subtract Federal, State and Social Security taxes and you'll have about $900-1,000 left. Subtract current premiums for Medical, Dental and life insurance (about $300 total) and you have $600-$700 left. On average, a $30,000 loan for 5 years will cost $500 a month, so there's the new car. And of course, you'll need whatever is left for the insurance. Now you're broke and will stay that way your entire first enlistment.

Now mind you, this is a single service member with no dependents. They live in the barracks, or on ship and own nothing but a car. Want to see how it is when I add a spouse, or worse a spouse and kid?
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: Do not join the military.    Do not join the military.  EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 11:22 pm

My youngest son is going to join however only for the education part. As soon as he gets his degree he is gone.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: Do not join the military.    Do not join the military.  EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 11:24 pm

Bandit wrote:
Seriously, who can afford to join the military?

Base pay is $1,516.20 a month before taxes. Subtract Federal, State and Social Security taxes and you'll have about $900-1,000 left. Subtract current premiums for Medical, Dental and life insurance (about $300 total) and you have $600-$700 left. On average, a $30,000 loan for 5 years will cost $500 a month, so there's the new car. And of course, you'll need whatever is left for the insurance. Now you're broke and will stay that way your entire first enlistment.

Now mind you, this is a single service member with no dependents. They live in the barracks, or on ship and own nothing but a car. Want to see how it is when I add a spouse, or worse a spouse and kid?
I remember when I was an E1 take home was 220 twice a month. Even with that I had more disposable money until I got married. Been broke ever since.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Do not join the military.    Do not join the military.  EmptyWed Dec 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Pissedoffvulcan wrote:
My youngest son is going to join however only for the education part. As soon as he gets his degree he is gone.

Your son is going to get screwed. You know it, and I do. Once you sign your name, all promises not in writing will be broken. All those in writing, will have laws enacted making them void.

Just in case you didn't know, Congress changed the law back in 2002. Now when you reenlist, it's to your retention control point.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: Do not join the military.    Do not join the military.  EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Bandit wrote:
Pissedoffvulcan wrote:

Your son is going to get screwed. You know it, and I do. Once you sign your name, all promises not in writing will be broken. All those in writing, will have laws enacted making them void.

Just in case you didn't know, Congress changed the law back in 2002. Now when you reenlist, it's to your retention control point.
He is doing it for the GI bill. Besides they said they are going to fix it. We shall see the Senate has already written the bill.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do not join the military.    Do not join the military.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Do not join the military.
Page 1 of 1