Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

What drives the young person today.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

What drives the young person today.  Empty
PostSubject: What drives the young person today.    What drives the young person today.  EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 7:55 pm

I was just thinking what can a young person expect and what drives them? The people that voted for Obama who thought it would all be rosy and think that they are the only ones that have gone through tough times. I remember when Jimmy Carter was president. Things were really bad then. Gas lines Iran falling into the hands of religious nuts. Same thing that is happening today except on a larger scale. Unemployment high people sitting at home collecting unemployment. Remember back then you could collect unemployment forever. So the young people today do not have it any worse then we did back when Carter was president.

Only difference is we knew it was going to get better. Today a majority of young people have given up on America. They do not associate what is going on is because of Obama. People losing full time jobs. Having to pay for healthcare even if they do not want it. The poor making a decision car payment or health insurance payments. Wages getting lower. Now I am not going to put this all on Obama. The republican party sure has it's sins. Really there is no difference in the parties. One is taking down a bad road at a 1000 miles an hour. The other at a 100 miles an hour. Does not matter which party only that we will end up in the same place eventually. Redistribution of wealth.

Eventually just like rationed health care we will have rationed food gas care you name it. Do not believe I and I am sure Walter being military have lived it being overseas. With gas, Alcohol and cigarettes. Just a taste of what is to come. America has become the country of what the government can do for me instead of what I can do for myself. I am not saying some people do not deserve help but those that can help themselves no longer want to. Why should they? They get everything they want right now from the government.

So is there anything that drives the young today? Besides government? This grand experiment the left and right wants to take us on has been tried before many times and has failed. USSR, Cuba, Poland and others. Just does not work. Looks great on paper but in reality you will have corrupt people. Regardless if it is big business or big government. Big business you can deal with. However once you get big government good luck with that.

So what has become the norm in America?

Part time jobs.
Food Stamps.
Wages getting lower.
Government getting bigger.
You better get healthcare or go to jail.

This is what my generation has left you young people. However is it all our fault? No because you keep voting in the old tired people who only look out for one person. Themselves.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
Annoyed

PostSubject: Re: What drives the young person today.    What drives the young person today.  EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Only difference is we knew it was going to get better. Today a majority of young people have given up on America.

And I agree with that assessment. At this point in time, the U.S. is headed for the wall and nothing we can do at this point will stop it. The last chance we really had was in the 80's.

And I'll agree that the fault lies with my generation, the baby boomers. We pushed so much pie-in-the-sky idealistic, wishful thinking felgercarb through on so many different fronts, it was as if we were deliberately trying to destroy the country.

I didn't (and still don't) agree with most of what we did, but we as a generation did it.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: What drives the young person today.    What drives the young person today.  EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Annoyed wrote:
Only difference is we knew it was going to get better. Today a majority of young people have given up on America.

And I agree with that assessment. At this point in time, the U.S. is headed for the wall and nothing we can do at this point will stop it. The last chance we really had was in the 80's.

And I'll agree that the fault lies with my generation, the baby boomers. We pushed so much pie-in-the-sky idealistic, wishful thinking felgercarb  through on so many different fronts, it was as if we were deliberately trying to destroy the country.

I didn't (and still don't) agree with most of what we did, but we as a generation did it.
Agreed. What does young people have to look forward to except part time jobs. My three kids are lucky they all have full time jobs with health insurance. I was looking at the new class of freshmen coming in and just thinking half of them will not find a job.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
Annoyed

PostSubject: Re: What drives the young person today.    What drives the young person today.  EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 11:25 pm

Oh, it's going to be far worse than that. The U.S. is already bankrupt many times over, and we keep spending money we do not have. The economic house of cards is going to collapse one day, taking the U.S. with it.

SciFi's show "Continuum" paints one possible path forward; the corporations buy up the smoking remains and take over. This could actually be one of the best possible scenarios.

Nature abhors a vacuum. When the U.S. does fall, numerous nations are going to start squabbling over who takes our place at the top of the heap.

All it will take is one nutjob pulling the Nuclear or Biological trigger. If we're lucky, we'll knock ourselves back down the ladder a couple of hundred or maybe thousand years.

If we're unlucky, we could easily exterminate ourselves.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Re: What drives the young person today.    What drives the young person today.  EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 1:34 am

Annoyed wrote:
SciFi's show "Continuum" paints one possible path forward; the corporations buy up the smoking remains and take over.  This could actually be one of the best possible scenarios.
That's already happened, back when the US first went bankrupt during the Great Depression and the world banks took us over. They have been ruling us from behind the scenes ever since.

Speaking of Continuum though, I like that show for the whole reason that the "bad guys" and the "good guys" are actually the opposite of how they are labeled on the show. Liber8 believes in things like freedom and government by the people, whereas the future cops are a fascist army for the corporate police state. Reminds me a little to much of our current government labeling Veterans, Christians, Constitutionalists, the Tea Party, etc as enemies of the state.
Back to top Go down
Annoyed

PostSubject: Re: What drives the young person today.    What drives the young person today.  EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:50 am

eber322 wrote:
Annoyed wrote:
SciFi's show "Continuum" paints one possible path forward; the corporations buy up the smoking remains and take over.  This could actually be one of the best possible scenarios.
That's already happened, back when the US first went bankrupt during the Great Depression and the world banks took us over. They have been ruling us from behind the scenes ever since.

Speaking of Continuum though, I like that show for the whole reason that the "bad guys" and the "good guys" are actually the opposite of how they are labeled on the show. Liber8 believes in things like freedom and government by the people, whereas the future cops are a fascist army for the corporate police state. Reminds me a little to much of our current government labeling Veterans, Christians, Constitutionalists, the Tea Party, etc as enemies of the state.
Which makes it damned near impossible to have a discussion about the show on SciFi's boards. Although the show clearly depicts a possible future for the United States if we don't change our path very soon, the powers that be *cough* MBG would rather pretend that it's talking about Canada because it happens to be made there than admit the liberal policies which they so strongly advocate are leading this once great country to ruin.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Re: What drives the young person today.    What drives the young person today.  EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Annoyed wrote:
Which makes it damned near impossible to have a discussion about the show on SciFi's boards. Although the show clearly depicts a possible future for the United States if we don't change our path very soon, the powers that be *cough* MBG would rather pretend that it's talking about Canada because it happens to be made there than admit the liberal policies which they so strongly advocate are leading this once great country to ruin.
Well the show is set in Canada as well as being filmed there, however the corporations that run Canada in the future also control the US via none other than a Corporate run North American Union. Both the US and Canadian Constitutions, free elections, etc have been forfeit. To say this show doesn't portray a possible future for the US, would be like saying it doesn't portray a possible future for Toronto since it's set in Vancouver.

Also, the creator of the show, Simon Barry, originally wrote the show to be pitched to networks here in the US. In which case it would have been based in some city here, it was only after he pitched it to the Canadian network Showcase and they bought it, that it was set in Vancouver.
Back to top Go down
Annoyed

PostSubject: Re: What drives the young person today.    What drives the young person today.  EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 2:13 pm

Heh. The primary reason a movie production industry is growing in Canada is that the producers of films want to escape the costs of doing business in California. Oh, yes.. remind me what side of the fence California and Hollywood in particular are on?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What drives the young person today.    What drives the young person today.  Empty

Back to top Go down

What drives the young person today.
Page 1 of 1