Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

Is there any point

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
2sage

2sage

Is there any point Empty
PostSubject: Is there any point   Is there any point EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:40 pm

Over the past week I have been arguing at Syfy on the topic of anti-conservative bias in Hollywood TV and movies. I provided mounds of evidence that MBG and others dismissed or ignored completely.

Just today, I realized that they were not bothering to read the links I posted. They were not trying to argue in an informed way. They had already made up their mind and didn't want to be confronted by contrary facts. There is no way I can argue them away from their opinion if they won't even bother to look at the evidence. They want to remain ignorant and uninformed. They love their ideology more than they love the truth.

This is the first time that I have actually had contempt for them. Until today, I believed that this was just a different philosophy, or a different worldview. Now, I realize that it is a purposeful and studied ignorance that reinforces their political viewpoint. They will shun truth in order to remain in their make believe world.

Therefore, I'm wondering if there is any point. Is there any value in engaging them when they don't even want to know the truth? Should I bother to take the time to research a topic when that research is going to be ignored anyway? In my naiveté I had believed that the truth is always persuasive. Now, I see that it is not.

What is your viewpoint? Is there any point in making an argument with someone who values philosophy over substance?
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Is there any point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is there any point   Is there any point EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 5:37 am

2sage wrote:
Over the past week I have been arguing at Syfy on the topic of anti-conservative bias in Hollywood TV and movies. I provided mounds of evidence that MBG and others dismissed or ignored completely.

Just today, I realized that they were not bothering to read the links I posted. They were not trying to argue in an informed way. They had already made up their mind and didn't want to be confronted by contrary facts. There is no way I can argue them away from their opinion if they won't even bother to look at the evidence. They want to remain ignorant and uninformed. They love their ideology more than they love the truth.

This is the first time that I have actually had contempt for them. Until today, I believed that this was just a different philosophy, or a different worldview. Now, I realize that it is a purposeful and studied ignorance that reinforces their political viewpoint. They will shun truth in order to remain in their make believe world.

Therefore, I'm wondering if there is any point. Is there any value in engaging them when they don't even want to know the truth? Should I bother to take the time to research a topic when that research is going to be ignored anyway? In my naiveté I had believed that the truth is always persuasive. Now, I see that it is not.

What is your viewpoint? Is there any point in making an argument with someone who values philosophy over substance?
Yes although it is to late for them someone that is on the fence might read it and be swayed. Have you noticed the relaxation of political posts on Sinkfy? As long as you do not say it is political post they are letting them go. What the link for that I will help you.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
2sage

2sage

Is there any point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is there any point   Is there any point EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 11:43 am

This is the link

I think I have virtually argued them to a standstill. They really want to prove me wrong, but they have no ammunition left and are reduced to calling me names.

I suppose there isn't really any hope of persuading one of the libs, but you're right about someone sitting on the fence.
Back to top Go down
Annoyed

Is there any point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is there any point   Is there any point EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 2:14 pm

No, in my view, you're probably wasting your time, if you really expect to change someone's mind.

I think the biggest difference between Conservatives and Liberals is that Conservatives think with the logical part of their minds.. "what steps have to happen to make whatever the desired outcome is happen, and how do I do them"; a logical thought process. On the other hands, Liberals tend to process things with their emotions; they tend to think if they want something bad enough, it should be made to happen. They usually don't think though the workable mechanics of how it has to happen.
Since they're not processing info logically, they can't see where they're wrong.

This can be seen in many aspects of their behavior; One of the most apparent ones is rather than present a reasoned argument against a conservative, they try to wish the viewpoint away by silencing the opposing view if they can

This also matches up with human behavior in general, the younger a person is, the more idealistic & fuzzy minded they are, as they age, & (hopefully) learn, they tend to start to think more rationally, this is why as a general rule, the young are more often of a liberal bent, while the older folks are more conservative.

Since the vast majority of internet forums, including Sci Fi's are populated by younger folks, they tend to be more liberal.

As far as the management of media outlets, I suspect they are more concerned with their public image than any real concern about solving the problems of society. Liberal solutions to problems, such as taking $ from those who earn it to those who won't appear to be more compassionate in the short term, although over the long haul, the conservative solution is usually better for the society as a whole. But the management is afraid of a negative public image, so they back the quick fix.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

Is there any point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is there any point   Is there any point EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Well I threw my two cents in via this website...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tv-executives-admit-taped-interviews-193116

Used three of the videos they have posted there as well.
Wanted to post five videos, but stupid Styfy would only let me post one video per reply.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is there any point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is there any point   Is there any point Empty

Back to top Go down

Is there any point
Page 1 of 1