Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
eber322

eber322

In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. Empty
PostSubject: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 1:39 pm

Quote :
Woman seeks ‘Christian roommate,’ state cites her for discrimination

By Bob Unruh

Michigan alleges notice posted on church billboard breaks rules.

Joel Oster, ADF attorney defending woman who advertised for roomate
A single, 31-year-old woman in Michigan who posted a note on her church bulletin board seeking a “Christian roommate” to share her residence has been cited by the state for violating the Fair Housing Act by discriminating against those of other faiths.

The complaint signed by Tyra Khan, a “Civil Rights Representative” of the state of Michigan Department of Civil Rights, surfaced when the Alliance Defense Fund announced today it was representing the woman.

ADF spokesman Joel Oster confirmed the organization sent a letter to the state explaining that such housing rules don’t apply to people living in their own homes and wanting to share their resources.

Find how what happens when the government steps over the line, in “Constitutional Chaos”

“[Tricia] is a single lady looking for a roommate. She is not a landlord. She does not own a management company. She does not run an apartment complex. She is a single person seeking to have a roommate live with her in her house,” the letter said.

“She is not prohibited by either federal law or state law from seeking a Christian roommate. Neither Title VII of the US Fair Housing Civil Rights Act of 1968 nor the Elliot Larsen Civil Rights Act No. 453 prevents a woman like [her] from seeking a Christian roommate.”

The letter asked for an immediate dismissal of the case, but Oster confirmed to WND today that he had not received a response.

WND contacted the agency’s spokesman, Harold Core, who said the case had been determined to be legitimate and the investigation was continuing.

He cited a regulation from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, and explained the state of Michigan agrees to enforce federal regulations.

He said section 604C states it is a “violation to make, print or publish or cause to be made, printed or published any notice, statement or advertisement with respect to the sale or rental of a dwelling that indicates any preference” for a list of nondiscrimination categories, including religious belief.

The complaint specifically alleges the woman’s statement, “I am looking for a Christian roommate,” prevents people of “other faiths” from contacting the woman and making arrangements to share her home with her.

Core declined to respond to questions about the complications that could arise should a full range of nondiscrimination factors, such as race, age and sex, be applied.

“The Fair Housing law is very clear,” he warned. “You cannot advertising for preferences on certain … situations.”

“Free speech isn’t the same as … a housing opportunity,” he said.

“Christians shouldn’t live in fear of being punished by the government for being Christians. It is completely absurd to try to penalize a single Christian woman for privately seeking a Christian roommate at church – an obviously legal and constitutionally protected activity,” said Oster, a senior legal counsel with the ADF.

“Not content to just lock Christians and their beliefs into the four walls of their church or home, some groups also want to invade those walls and force their own ideas upon them by force of law,” he said.

The person who filed the complaint, whose identity was being protected by the state, complained about the “advertisement which contained the following sentence: ‘I am looking for a Christian roommate, …’ The claimant believes the statement expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths.”

The state, which got the complaint from the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan, a private organization, ordered the defendant to provide information about her agent, the names and addresses of her management personnel, a copy of her anti-discrimination policy, addresses of her properties, tenants, witnesses and a copy of the advertisement.

The Fair Housing Center could not be reached for a comment.

The state also warned, “You must preserve all records relevant to this complaint until final disposition is issued by the department and until litigation and all appeals are concluded. Revelant records, would, for example, include records relating to the aggrieved person and all persons similarly situated.”

My state does so many dumb things.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 4:50 pm

Damn man you need to get conservatives in your state elected.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 4:59 pm

Pissedoffvulcan wrote:

That's hard to do, this is an extremely liberal state. It's all the welfare liberals in Detroit, they carry just over half the states votes from that one city. I'm hoping after the lousy way our Dem Governor has done for years, that a Republican will win this time. But I honestly doubt it. I don't think a Republican presidential candidate has won this state since Reagan.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 5:14 pm

That is to bad. The democrats keep feeding them the money and they take it thinking that they can make a living doing it.
Back to top Go down
TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 6:52 pm

I was in the apartment business for twenty years and every year I had to go to fair housing classes. Which every it took all my strength to keep my mouth shut on the stupid rules they have. But now I go every year to renew my CAMT. Certified Apartment Maintenance Technician. But since now I run my own business and have no fear of losing my job I can just drive the teachers nuts asking questions why some some of these stupid laws are even on the books. Because these teachers are just so proud of all the fair housing laws. They sure remember me every year :D . Anyways like all government things it had its good intentions in the beginning and has now become a out of control elephant in a crystal shop.
Back to top Go down
Walterth3rd

Walterth3rd

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 pm

IF I owned an apartment, I would state right from the beginning, 'Tenant agrees that as long as the rent is paid on time, and the place is kept up, no IMMIGRATION PEOPLE will be called to investigate who lives with you. As long as there are no drugs being pushed from the property, no guns being ran, no FEDERALES will be brought in. As long as there is no graffiti put on the property, either inside the quarters or out in the parking lot, no dogs will be released.

The tenants are expected to keep their visitors respectful and I will keep myself respectful. We all have to live here, but only ONE of us HAS to live here, always keep that in mind. evil

Of course, son after I post that notice, I would likely LOSE the whole property to a group saying I ask too much from them!
Back to top Go down
Walterth3rd

Walterth3rd

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:15 pm

But that is what flares and gasoline are for! :shock:
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 8:32 am

What she should have advertised is this. Looking for a roommate that has good credit, pays bills on time, does not believe in adultery.
Back to top Go down
Annoyed

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 12:56 pm

eber322 wrote:
Pissedoffvulcan wrote:

That's hard to do, this is an extremely liberal state. It's all the welfare liberals in Detroit, they carry just over half the states votes from that one city. I'm hoping after the lousy way our Dem Governor has done for years, that a Republican will win this time. But I honestly doubt it. I don't think a Republican presidential candidate has won this state since Reagan.

NY state is in the same boat. NY City, with it's high concentration of freeloaders is 4/5 of the states' population and therefore, controls state government. Combine NYC with Albany (state capitol), which also overwhelmingly votes Democratic (big surprise there), it doesn't matter what the rest of the state wants.
Back to top Go down
Walterth3rd

Walterth3rd

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Quote :
NY state is in the same boat. NY City, with it's high concentration of freeloaders is 4/5 of the states' population and therefore, controls state government. Combine NYC with Albany (state capitol), which also overwhelmingly votes Democratic (big surprise there), it doesn't matter what the rest of the state wants.

Which is why I HATE how the elections are rated! There really ought to be something that give a little MORE credence to those of us that REFUSE to live in a big city! What the HE_L do them big city folk know about what US people REALLY want? Especially since oft times it differs from what THEY want! :scratch:
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 3:23 pm

I think if you are on welfare or getting unemployment you should have to take a drug test.
Back to top Go down
Walterth3rd

Walterth3rd

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 3:45 pm

I agree! That should have BEEN a requirement to begin with!
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 5:54 pm

Walterth3rd wrote:
I agree! That should have BEEN a requirement to begin with!
The left would go crazy. I mean if we require our troops to take drug tests then those on unemployment and welfare should. Those that receive food stamps heating assistance WIC. Yep all of them should.
Back to top Go down
TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 5:41 am

I think if you are on welefare you should be required to put in a certain amount of hours. In a park, animal shelter, DMV, something.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 10:23 am

ssvs04 wrote:
I think if you are on welefare you should be required to put in a certain amount of hours. In a park, animal shelter, DMV, something.
That to,.
Back to top Go down
Annoyed

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 12:51 pm

Actually, urban / suburban isn't the big factor. It's leeches vs. productive people.

And it has come to pass that the leeches outnumber the productive people.
Back to top Go down
TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 7:01 pm

Pissedoffvulcan wrote:
ssvs04 wrote:
That to,.

And the longer your on the welfare the more hours your required to put in until your eventually doing 40 hours a week or you find a public sector job.
Back to top Go down
Annoyed

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 10:45 pm

ssvs04 wrote:
Pissedoffvulcan wrote:
ssvs04 wrote:
That to,.

And the longer your on the welfare the more hours your required to put in until your eventually doing 40 hours a week or you find a public sector job.
Don't you mean private sector? The last thing we need is more busywork jobs on the taxpayers' dime.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 5:10 pm

Put them on a chain gang and they wont be on welfare for long.
Back to top Go down
TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Annoyed wrote:
ssvs04 wrote:
Pissedoffvulcan wrote:
ssvs04 wrote:
That to,.

Don't you mean private sector? The last thing we need is more busywork jobs on the taxpayers' dime.

My mistake! Yes I do!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.   In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home. Empty

Back to top Go down

In Michigan you aren't allowed to choose who lives in your home.
Page 1 of 1