Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

Really people?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Really people? Empty
PostSubject: Really people?   Really people? EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Hundreds of protesters across the US marched Thursday to demand higher wages for fast-food workers, forcing the closure of one McDonald's in Detroit after its employees walked out. Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/29/fast-food-workers-to-strike-nationwide-over-wages/?test=latestnews#ixzz2dOoRCrkk wrote:
Really I mean everyone knows those jobs are not meant to live on. If you work in a fast food place and are trying to make a living you are one sad human being. I work for the state of VA I am one of the last state employees in the food service department. A contractor has taken over. These people think they have it bad. Workers from the contractor get laid off every summer every Holiday. The pay compared to mine is dismal. Most right at min wage and get laid off.

The worst part is. They complain about money then call in sick all the time. Most of the state employees have retired or gone on to other places in the state to work. Me myself I just want make until I retire. Nope if you think they have it bad just work for any contractor on a campus in the United States of America. Sad thing is most of these places are liberal colleges and they are hosing over the working man.

It used to be in food service you get paid for your experience. But contractors have changed that. They just hire any joe of the street give them min wage then work the hell out them. Nope the one place I am for unions is the food service industry. They need it. I am not talking about fast food.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
eber322

eber322

Really people? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really people?   Really people? EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 10:25 pm

Pissedoffvulcan wrote:

Really I mean everyone knows those jobs are not meant to live on. If you work in a fast food place and are trying to make a living you are one sad human being.
Well thanks. I don't work in fast food, but both my part time jobs only pay Min Wage. And yeah, it's not easy living off that kind of money.
Back to top Go down
Annoyed

Really people? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really people?   Really people? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 6:34 am

If it were only people in school or part time housewives, whatever, this wouldn't be a problem.

But in reality, a lot of adults are trying to support themselves on these types of jobs because regardless of their skill set, that's all that they can get in this economy.

No one is talking about the real problem: Globalization.

The United States has been on a hell bent for leather push towards globalization, free trade with everyone and their offspring for 30+ years now.

You can throw all of the economic theories and ideas you want at it, but the fact remains, as demonstrated by the only test that really counts: real world experience.

The U.S. has been exporting it's standard of living for a very long time now. This fact is inarguable. Our own average standard of living which were the highest in human history a scant 60 years ago has been falling at an ever increasing rate as we've pursued "the global economy".

With proper trade policies in place, our people would be able to get jobs that allow them to support themselves.

Isn't it time we started doing what is best for our own nation, rather than what benefits others?
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

Really people? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really people?   Really people? EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 1:49 pm

Wow Vulcan, you're really out of touch with reality. I agree with Annoyed, in that a lot of adults are trying to support themselves on these types of jobs because regardless of their skill set, that's all that they can get in this economy. But what you're missing, is none of these employee's works a 40 hour week. Not even in a 24hr store. I'll put in 20 hours at Mickey D's, and another 20 at Lowe's or something like that, just trying to make ends meet. If I'm still not making it, then I'll get a third job.

Lets put in perspective for you. Minimum wage jobs, were intended for those who have no skill set and are just entering the workforce. In other words, teenagers, hopefully HS grads. But it hasn't been that way in over 20 years. There simply isn't any way for a kid with a HS diploma to support themselves.

But to tell ANYONE trying to support themselves, they are a "sad human being" is just pathetic dude. You lose that state job, what do you have to fall back on?
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Really people? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really people?   Really people? EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 6:25 am

Bandit wrote:
Wow Vulcan, you're really out of touch with reality. I agree with Annoyed, in that a lot of adults are trying to support themselves on these types of jobs because regardless of their skill set, that's all that they can get in this economy. But what you're missing, is none of these employee's works a 40 hour week. Not even in a 24hr store. I'll put in 20 hours at Mickey D's, and another 20 at Lowe's or something like that, just trying to make ends meet. If I'm still not making it, then I'll get a third job.

Lets put in perspective for you. Minimum wage jobs, were intended for those who have no skill set and are just entering the workforce. In other words, teenagers, hopefully HS grads. But it hasn't been that way in over 20 years. There simply isn't any way for a kid with a HS diploma to support themselves.

But to tell ANYONE trying to support themselves, they are a "sad human being" is just pathetic dude. You lose that state job, what do you have to fall back on?
They were. What I am saying is this. The food service industry has gone down hill for a while now. Not just fast food places but even the big chains like Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesdays and such. However especially college campus's you know the ones that say hey people are not getting paid enough. Yet they contract out to these food service companies that only pay just above min wage lay people off in the summer, spring break, Christmas break. What a bunch of liberal hypocrites.

I have seen them hire drug dealers criminals and just shady characters. Most of these people could not get a job at fast food. If I was a young person today I would not go into food service unless it was management.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

Really people? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really people?   Really people? EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 5:42 pm

This isn't about the food service industry. It's about wages. If you were a young person today, you'd not be able to get a job above minimum wage, period. You have preciously few skills, and NO experience. You have to be taught what you are expected to do, and even then, still have no experience doing it. That's reality dude.

As Annoyed pointed out, it isn't a matter of somebody wanting a job making minimum wage. Regardless of what skill set they have, it's all they can get. I do not fault them for that, and certainly don't insult them as you have. I applaud them, as they are willing to WORK! Why do you think so many jobs are being taken by immigrants? Unlike most Americans, they're willing to work too!

Americans, like those in the article, expect to do little, and get a kings ransom in wages. $15 an hour working at McDonalds? Starting? Are you freaking kidding me?!?!

Quit. Every last one. You don't like your pay, just quit. I'll hold a couple of job fairs at the local High Schools, and have you replaced in a jiffy! Kids are changing. Staying at home living off mom and dad just isn't cutting it. They can't afford it. Being homeless is scary. So kids are looking at taking back jobs that were rightfully theirs in the first place. And at minimum wage.

As stated, these jobs are intended for those just entering the workforce. Others use them as a supplement to the FAMILY income. Lastly, as stated, it's all said employee could get.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Really people? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really people?   Really people? EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 8:35 pm

Bandit wrote:
This isn't about the food service industry. It's about wages. If you were a young person today, you'd not be able to get a job above minimum wage, period. You have preciously few skills, and NO experience. You have to be taught what you are expected to do, and even then, still have no experience doing it. That's reality dude.

As Annoyed pointed out, it isn't a matter of somebody wanting a job making minimum wage. Regardless of what skill set they have, it's all they can get. I do not fault them for that, and certainly don't insult them as you have. I applaud them, as they are willing to WORK! Why do you think so many jobs are being taken by immigrants? Unlike most Americans, they're willing to work too!

Americans, like those in the article, expect to do little, and get a kings ransom in wages. $15 an hour working at McDonalds? Starting? Are you freaking kidding me?!?!

Quit. Every last one. You don't like your pay, just quit. I'll hold a couple of job fairs at the local High Schools, and have you replaced in a jiffy! Kids are changing. Staying at home living off mom and dad just isn't cutting it. They can't afford it. Being homeless is scary. So kids are looking at taking back jobs that were rightfully theirs in the first place. And at minimum wage.

As stated, these jobs are intended for those just entering the workforce. Others use them as a supplement to the FAMILY income. Lastly, as stated, it's all said employee could get.
That is not true at all. All my three children have jobs well above min wage. And they all get 40 hours a week or more. The food service industry sucks. This young generation thinks they have bad. I tell you they had no worse then when Carter was president. Few jobs high inflation and gas lines. I am confused here you say they expect a kings ransom. What I am saying is this they think they have it bad. However the colleges across the nation that our contracted out the hourly employees have it far worse. They do not get in many cases 40 hours a week. I know the one that work at the college I am at get no more then 37.5 hours a week. When it starts slowing down they will knock them down to 30 or 29 hours. They get laid off all the time. Yet these people working at McDs are complaining about not getting 15 bucks on hour. Really are you going to pay 15 bucks for a value menu item? I sure as hell am not.

As far as what I said about being a sad human being. Then get educated and get a better job. I applied 16 times for my job until I got it. I did not give up. I know plenty of people who do not give up min wage jobs because they get to much in food stamps.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Really people? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really people?   Really people? EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 9:39 am

You cannot expect to work at McDonalds and make a living. Some people that work at McDonalds start out at min wage then work their way up. Some even end up owning their own franchises.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

Really people? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really people?   Really people? EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Your kids have only a HS diploma/GED and make well over min wage? Really?
Back to top Go down
Annoyed

Really people? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really people?   Really people? EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Bandit wrote:
It's not impossible. I know people with nothing past HS who make very good wages. It's luck of the draw. Some companies will hire right out of school, and if you do a good job for them, they'll move you along up the ladder. Others, not so much. You pays your money (or in this case, puts in your time) and you take your chances.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Really people? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really people?   Really people? EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 8:30 pm

Bandit wrote:
One has a college a degree. The other two do not. One kid works at a hospital the other as a sanitation inspector at a Chicken plant. Both have better health care plans then I do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Really people? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really people?   Really people? Empty

Back to top Go down

Really people?
Page 1 of 1