Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

China Attacks

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bandit

Bandit

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptyThu May 30, 2013 3:56 am

Here's two articles for you peeps to read:

Pentagon says were safe

Civilian Agencies say we're hosed

So which is it? Well if you read the news, you'd probably figure out we're hosed. But most Americans won't take the time to read anything. Just wait for one of the media "talking heads" to tell you what's going on, and they say "all is well". Well it isn't.

I spend a fair amount of time at the Federation of American Scientists website. They warned the DoD back in 2000 that China compromised their networks. At risk is national security, not to mention decades of research costing TRILLIONS. The government just blew it off. So FAS spent a few years gathering documents, and presented them to the government, on what they (DoD) considered to be their most classified technologies. The source? China. Not so funny anymore.

But that was back in 2006. The attacks continued. Now it was a matter of figuring out what exactly was compromised. In a word, everything.

Now if that wasn't bad enough, this makes it worse. Time. They've had this information long enough to design counter-measures. Before the USS Freedom even hit the water, China knew all of it's weaknesses. Stealth? Forget it. That technology has been reduced to merely expensive. Missile defense technology? Useless. Heck, China even proved to the US they had our missile technology for those that remember what they did.

Going to be an interesting next few years...
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptyThu May 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Bandit wrote:
Here's two articles for you peeps to read:

Pentagon says were safe

Civilian Agencies say we're hosed

So which is it? Well if you read the news, you'd probably figure out we're hosed. But most Americans won't take the time to read anything. Just wait for one of the media "talking heads" to tell you what's going on, and they say "all is well". Well it isn't.

I spend a fair amount of time at the Federation of American Scientists website. They warned the DoD back in 2000 that China compromised their networks. At risk is national security, not to mention decades of research costing TRILLIONS. The government just blew it off. So FAS spent a few years gathering documents, and presented them to the government, on what they (DoD) considered to be their most classified technologies. The source? China. Not so funny anymore.

But that was back in 2006. The attacks continued. Now it was a matter of figuring out what exactly was compromised. In a word, everything.

Now if that wasn't bad enough, this makes it worse. Time. They've had this information long enough to design counter-measures. Before the USS Freedom even hit the water, China knew all of it's weaknesses. Stealth? Forget it. That technology has been reduced to merely expensive. Missile defense technology? Useless. Heck, China even proved to the US they had our missile technology for those that remember what they did.

Going to be an interesting next few years...
Kind of makes you think of that movie Die Hard with the computers and stuff.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
Bandit

Bandit

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptyThu May 30, 2013 6:09 pm

Pissedoffvulcan wrote:

China has stolen more classified information from the US in the last 10 years, than the Soviet Union has since WW2. And all without setting foot inside US borders.

What we might have lost, is our ability to project military power. The Navy and Air Force rely heavily on technology. The Army and Marines rely on the Navy and AF for transportation and logistical support.

For me, it reminds me of the pilot episode of BSG. All those new Battlestars and Vipers. They Cylons just flipped a switch, and none of them worked.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptyFri May 31, 2013 3:26 pm

Bandit wrote:
Pissedoffvulcan wrote:

China has stolen more classified information from the US in the last 10 years, than the Soviet Union has since WW2. And all without setting foot inside US borders.

What we might have lost, is our ability to project military power. The Navy and Air Force rely heavily on technology. The Army and Marines rely on the Navy and AF for transportation and logistical support.

For me, it reminds me of the pilot episode of BSG. All those new Battlestars and Vipers. They Cylons just flipped a switch, and none of them worked.
How much did Clinton give them?
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 1:29 am

Pissedoffvulcan wrote:
How much did Clinton give them?

In a word, nothing. China's electronic collecting efforts during Clinton's administration, was in it's infancy, as were the governments automation networks and technologies.

As such, China had to have agents on the ground.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 10:16 am

They didn't have to have anything, Bill handed it to them and said, "here you go."
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am

The problem is that anything government is even online, it shouldn't be. I've even heard there are concerns terrorists could crash our power grid by hacking in. Nothing like that should even be online. Not on online, no online access. Same thing goes with these companies, if they have government contracts, they should have to follow government rules which again should mean no online. Otherwise it's their own stupidity if they want to do the equivalent of flying around the world dumping copies of their plans and blueprints on every city in every country.

Also, we need to stop buying Chinese made cr@p, especially electronics, since they build back doors into all their hardware.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Unfortunately, the government cannot do that.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 10:05 pm

The government can do that if they want too. Nothing used to be online, they put it online, they can take it back off.
Back to top Go down
ilaugh

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 3:06 am

eber322 wrote:
They didn't have to have anything, Bill handed it to them and said, "here you go."
He did? :roll:
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 3:45 pm

eber322 wrote:
The government can do that if they want too. Nothing used to be online, they put it online, they can take it back off.

Automation has streamlined production like never before, at unprecedented levels. This is largely due to the Internet. As such, profit levels have increased exponentially. This is all called free commerce.

All the businesses and corporations have done this. As a free nation, it is their right. The US government has no say in the matter. As a matter of fact, the government itself is a customer.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Bandit wrote:
Pissedoffvulcan wrote:

BSG good analogy. I know when I was in the military and probably when you were in. They could not buy any tech from foreign countries. I believe this has changed now. But your right flip the switch and every thing goes off.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 5:55 pm

eber322 wrote:
It did use to be all closed circuit.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 1:10 am

A good example is my power company. Back in 2004, they upgraded our meters. These new meters do not require someone to physically come out to read them every month, nor does the company have to send someone to cut my power. The meter does it remotely through computers/Internet. As we were the last to get them, and new construction automatically gets them, they are now standard.

They did the same with the gas, and the city water company followed suit.

I'm sure many of us remember the "meter man" from our youth. Power, water, or gas. Not anymore.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 3:40 pm

We still have meter men. But I am looking at wind power and a Micro Hydro generator. Or maybe a grassifier. Hope spelled that right. But anyway just because the power has gone out last year for week twice.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 3:17 pm

Pissedoffvulcan wrote:
We still have meter men. But I am looking at wind power and a Micro Hydro generator. Or maybe a grassifier. Hope spelled that right. But anyway just because the power has gone out last year for week twice.

Just yesterday I was thinking of you Bro. Check this out:

Navy Communications

As for generators, I too have one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

China Attacks Empty
PostSubject: Re: China Attacks   China Attacks Empty

Back to top Go down

China Attacks
Page 1 of 1