Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  Empty
PostSubject: I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.    I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  EmptySun May 26, 2013 8:06 am

Quote :
21 hours ago
Holder involved in decision to ask for search warrant for reporter's private emails
Posted by
CNN Crime and Justice Correspondent Joe Johns

Washington (CNN) - Attorney General Eric Holder was involved in the Justice Department's decision to seek a search warrant for Fox News reporter James Rosen's private e-mails, a Justice official told CNN.

The decision to apply for the search warrant was vetted at the department's highest levels, including Holder, the official said, although the decision to issue a warrant was made by a federal magistrate judge.

The Obama administration's aggressive posture against leaks to reporters on national security matters has come under scrutiny recently as probes of Rosen and Associated Press reporters have come to light.

It prompted Obama to announce on Thursday he has directed Holder to review federal guidelines for investigating leaks and reporters. That review will include assembling a panel of media representatives.

Justice Department officials dug into the phone records of AP reporters, including work, cell, and home lines, the news agency said earlier this month. It said investigators were looking into its account of a foiled plot to bomb a U.S. airliner in May 2012.

AP reporters were never labeled as suspected criminals, but an FBI affidavit used to obtain the warrant for Rosen's e-mails described him as potentially being an "aider and abettor and/or co-conspirator" to the crime of disclosing government secrets.

That case centers on a 2009 Fox News report on classified intelligence about North Korea.

No charges have been brought against Rosen or Fox News.

Obama said Thursday he was "troubled by the possibility that leak investigations may chill the investigative journalism that holds government accountable."

– CNN's Kevin Liptak and Gregory Wallace contributed to this report

Hold on minute. They new nothing.

I am telling you this is bigger then anyone even knows. I know government I have worked it my whole life.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
Samurai

Samurai

PostSubject: Re: I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.    I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 2:06 am

So because Holder does something it has to be approved by the President? If there is one agency in the federal government that should not be at the beck and call of the President it's the Justice Department. And whoever said the administration wasn't involved in this? Obviously leaking of classified information to anyone is something that should cross the President's desk. Don't you agree? I'm all for freedom of the press but you just simply cannot leak classified information. The only time I can see it being warranted is if something illegal was going on. In the case of the AP leak there wasn't, just some low level douche wanting to prove he was 'in the know' about something.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.    I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 5:34 pm

Samurai wrote:
So because Holder does something it has to be approved by the President? If there is one agency in the federal government that should not be at the beck and call of the President it's the Justice Department. And whoever said the administration wasn't involved in this? Obviously leaking of classified information to anyone is something that should cross the President's desk. Don't you agree? I'm all for freedom of the press but you just simply cannot leak classified information. The only time I can see it being warranted is if something illegal was going on. In the case of the AP leak there wasn't, just some low level douche wanting to prove he was 'in the know' about something.
I understand what you are saying here. But leaks have been happening since the founding of this country. In no time in history has any reporter been a co conspirator. The government has always gone after the person who leaked. As they should. But Holder saying he knew nothing about it. Which he is part of the administration he just flat out lied.
Back to top Go down
Samurai

Samurai

PostSubject: Re: I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.    I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 10:38 pm

By that logic everyone who works in the executive branch is 'the administration'. When I hear 'the administration' it means The White House or Office of the President. The DOJ is a federal agency but whether it's to be considered 'the administration' I guess comes down to semantics.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.    I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Samurai wrote:
By that logic everyone who works in the executive branch is 'the administration'. When I hear 'the administration' it means The White House or Office of the President. The DOJ is a federal agency but whether it's to be considered 'the administration' I guess comes down to semantics.
Holder works for Obama. At the very least Holder should resign. Does Obama know what is going on? No one knows. Obama says he does not. So one has to ask. Is Obama in charge of his own employees?
Back to top Go down
Samurai

Samurai

PostSubject: Re: I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.    I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 12:11 am

Pissedoffvulcan wrote:

Holder works for Obama. At the very least Holder should resign. Does Obama know what is going on? No one knows. Obama says he does not. So one has to ask. Is Obama in charge of his own employees?

Should the president be directing the DOJ in all matters?  Look at what happened under bush.  The fired nine U.S. Attorneys who refused to pursue political prosecutions in an election year.  Is that really what we want?
Back to top Go down
Samurai

Samurai

PostSubject: Re: I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.    I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 12:15 am

Also I think we're missing the larger point.  Whether it was Obama directing Holder to obtain the warrants or it was Holder doing it on his own accord is really irrelevant.  There was classified information being leaked and it is incumbent on them to find out who is doing it.  I don't think the Freedom of the Press includes unrestricted access to classified material.  Especially when it isn't in connection with an alleged crime by the administration or military.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.    I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Samurai wrote:
Pissedoffvulcan wrote:

Should the president be directing the DOJ in all matters?  Look at what happened under bush.  The fired nine U.S. Attorneys who refused to pursue political prosecutions in an election year.  Is that really what we want?
On major issues Obama should know. As far as Bush firing 9 U.S. Attorneys Clinton fired all 50 of them for political reasons. Is Obama in control of his people? Seems to me he is out to lunch on every issue and has no control what so ever.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.    I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 3:44 pm

Samurai wrote:
Also I think we're missing the larger point.  Whether it was Obama directing Holder to obtain the warrants or it was Holder doing it on his own accord is really irrelevant.  There was classified information being leaked and it is incumbent on them to find out who is doing it.  I don't think the Freedom of the Press includes unrestricted access to classified material.  Especially when it isn't in connection with an alleged crime by the administration or military.
Your right it is a priority they find out. However no time in the history of the United States was a reporter named a co conspirator. The government has always gone after the person who leaked. As they should have. But never have they ever gone after the reporter for good reason. Freedom of the press. Unless some people would like to do away with that?
Back to top Go down
Samurai

Samurai

PostSubject: Re: I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.    I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 12:10 am

Quote :
Pissoffvulcan
On major issues Obama should know. As far as Bush firing 9 U.S. Attorneys Clinton fired all 50 of them for political reasons. Is Obama in control of his people? Seems to me he is out to lunch on every issue and has no control what so ever.

There is a big difference between firing all the U.S. Attorneys at the beginning of the term, as is/was tradition, and firing only those that refuse to prosecute people for your political reasons.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.    I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Samurai wrote:
Quote :
Pissoffvulcan

There is a big difference between firing all the U.S. Attorneys at the beginning of the term, as is/was tradition, and firing only those that refuse to prosecute people for your political reasons.
Name one other president that has fired all 50?
Back to top Go down
Samurai

Samurai

PostSubject: Re: I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.    I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 3:55 pm

I'm not going to bother looking it up.  There is no argument to made that the nine georgie canned we fired because they didn't pursue political prosecutions.  That is the one and only salient point.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.    I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 6:32 pm

Samurai wrote:
I'm not going to bother looking it up.  There is no argument to made that the nine georgie canned we fired because they didn't pursue political prosecutions.  That is the one and only salient point.
Well I did. It has never been done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.    I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.  Empty

Back to top Go down

I thought the admistration had nothing to do with this.
Page 1 of 1