Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

Net Neutrality

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Net Neutrality  Empty
PostSubject: Net Neutrality    Net Neutrality  EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 3:40 pm

How will this effect the net? Good bad ugly? Not sure on this one. I do know they are saying it will slow it but some of you guys are far more knowledgeable on this stuff than I am.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
eber322

eber322

Net Neutrality  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality    Net Neutrality  EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 6:44 pm

All I know is I think they should just leave it alone.
Back to top Go down
Annoyed

Net Neutrality  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality    Net Neutrality  EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 7:55 pm

How long and in how many ways has the government tried to establish precedent or some other legal term that allows them a foot in the door of controlling the Internet? I think the most recent excuse was something about protecting children from some threat or another. Was a few years back.

True "neutrality" would be a good thing, but we don't even have that nowadays. For example VOIP traffic is given priority over other traffic using Q.O.S tagged packets because VOIP won't work without it. So from a technical viewpoint, there already is preferential treatment of traffic.

The only thing the neutrality they're doing now will do is establish a foothold for government control over the net.
Back to top Go down
Annoyed

Net Neutrality  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality    Net Neutrality  EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 9:50 am

Want an example?
I wonder how big a part the threat of government actions played in Facebook's decisions?

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/facebook-suspends-black-middle-schoolers-page-after-slamming-obama/

Quote :
CJ Pearson’s viral video last weekend in which he criticized President Obama provoked a real reaction from viewers – all 1.4 million of them.

But the 12-year-old middle schooler apparently provoked a reaction from Facebook, too. They suspended his account.

Pearson has this posted on his Facebook page:

I am having my Editor, Alan Davidson post on my behalf on this page while Facebook continues to lock me out. The 1st amendment is obviously not a big concern to the powers at be at Facebook, but we will continue to fight back!

He went to check the page after school on Friday and that’s when he learned his account and page had been locked for “suspicious activity.”

He tried in vain to have his page reactivated, but to no avail, according to the Examiner.

“Time and time again, Facebook has shut down many conservative accounts after they decide to speak up,” Pearson said on Fox & Friends Sunday.

“When a person decides to speak up, their voice shouldn’t be hindered because of someone disagreeing.”

Pearson shot to Internet stardom last weekend when his video appeared on The American Mirror, the Drudge Report and several other sites.
Back to top Go down
Skycastle

Skycastle

Net Neutrality  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality    Net Neutrality  EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Annoyed wrote:
How long and in how many ways has the government tried to establish precedent or some other legal term that allows them a foot in the door of controlling the Internet?
The only thing the neutrality they're doing now will do is establish a foothold for government control over the net.

Yes, a foothold is all they need to begin their brainwashing and suppression of truth. That's why we need a SMALLER federal government - not a more powerful one. The smaller the government, the better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Net Neutrality  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality    Net Neutrality  Empty

Back to top Go down

Net Neutrality
Page 1 of 1