Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

Net neutrality

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Net neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Net neutrality   Net neutrality EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Net neutrality WTF is it? I know they are talking about fast lanes however for some reason I think it goes much deeper than that and we are being lied to.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
Annoyed

Net neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net neutrality   Net neutrality EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 7:26 pm

The basic idea is that the internet should carry all traffic equally, no one's data gets preferential treatment.
This is already been forfeit; services such as VOIP phone traffic don't work unless given preferential treatment. Through QOS info in the data packet's headers, VOIP traffic is given a higher priority than your traffic from Netflix, for example. If they really wanted true neutrality, QOS wouldn't even exist. All traffic gets the same priority, and if your gadget can't work with that, fine, your gadget can't work. But too many people like their internet based phones, so this practice has already been accepted.

The current debate is whether or not traffic carriers and ISP's should be able to charge customers a premium price and in return, give that customer's data a "fast lane" in comparison to "ordinary" traffic. Netflix for example, could pay it's carrier the premium, and any traffic coming to or from Netflix would be carried at a faster speed than Joe's internet TV company, who is just starting out and can't afford to pay the premium.

So, on the surface, NN sounds like a good idea. Except that is already impossible to achieve.
I would strongly favor legislation requiring true neutrality; all traffic has to be handled identically. But that will never happen. QOS for VOIP has ensured that outcome.

The real fear, at least for me, is that current efforts to legislate what they are calling NN is really just another in a long line of attempts to establish precedent for government control and eventually censorship of the Internet.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Net neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net neutrality   Net neutrality EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 5:54 pm

Annoyed wrote:
The basic idea is that the internet should carry all traffic equally, no one's data gets preferential treatment.
This is already been forfeit; services such as VOIP phone traffic don't work unless given preferential treatment. Through QOS info in the data packet's headers, VOIP traffic is given a higher priority than your traffic from Netflix, for example. If they really wanted true neutrality, QOS wouldn't even exist. All traffic gets the same priority, and if your gadget can't work with that, fine, your gadget can't work. But too many people like their internet based phones, so this practice has already been accepted.

The current debate is whether or not traffic carriers and ISP's should be able to charge customers a premium price and in return, give that customer's data a "fast lane" in comparison to "ordinary" traffic. Netflix for example, could pay it's carrier the premium, and any traffic coming to or from Netflix would be carried at a faster speed than Joe's internet TV company, who is just starting out and can't afford to pay the premium.

So, on the surface, NN sounds like a good idea. Except that is already impossible to achieve.
I would strongly favor legislation requiring true neutrality; all traffic has to be handled identically. But that will never happen. QOS for VOIP has ensured that outcome.

The real fear, at least for me, is that current efforts to legislate what they are calling NN is really just another in a long line of attempts to establish precedent for government control and eventually censorship of the Internet.
Thank you I thought it was something like that but you explained very well. I to am concerned about censorship.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Net neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net neutrality   Net neutrality Empty

Back to top Go down

Net neutrality
Page 1 of 1