Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

Officer kills hostage and intruder.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Officer kills hostage and intruder.  Empty
PostSubject: Officer kills hostage and intruder.    Officer kills hostage and intruder.  EmptySun May 19, 2013 9:34 am

Quote :
New York (CNN) -- A Hofstra University student who died during a confrontation between a home invasion suspect and authorities was killed by police gunfire, a Nassau County, New York, police spokeswoman said Saturday.

Police fired eight shots at the intruder, who authorities say was holding a gun to the head of Andrea Rebello, 21, during a home invasion robbery Friday at an off-campus house in Uniondale.

One of the shots hit Rebello in the head, killing her, police spokeswoman Maureen Roach said.

Also killed was the intruder, whom authorities identified as Dalton Smith, 30, of Hempstead. He was struck seven times.

Authorities say Smith was wearing a mask. He invaded the home Rebello shared with her twin sister and two others during the predawn hours on Friday.

Now those of you who have never fired a military of police gun 8 rounds is nothing.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Re: Officer kills hostage and intruder.    Officer kills hostage and intruder.  EmptySun May 19, 2013 10:45 am

I don't know all the details, but from what I've heard a single cop fired all eight rounds. The suspect had the girl in a head lock with a gun to her head. Seems likely the cops first shot hit the girl in the head then the other seven rounds hit the suspect.

If this is true, you really have to wonder what that cop was doing firing his gun in that situation.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: Officer kills hostage and intruder.    Officer kills hostage and intruder.  EmptySun May 19, 2013 4:17 pm

eber322 wrote:
I don't know all the details, but from what I've heard a single cop fired all eight rounds. The suspect had the girl in a head lock with a gun to her head. Seems likely the cops first shot hit the girl in the head then the other seven rounds hit the suspect.

If this is true, you really have to wonder what that cop was doing firing his gun in that situation.
The intruder did point the gun at the cop.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
Bandit

Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Officer kills hostage and intruder.    Officer kills hostage and intruder.  EmptyMon May 20, 2013 8:13 am

Damn. My heart aches for the friends and family of Ms. Rebello. However, I question the NYPD letting the officer take sick leave before the investigation is started, let alone completed.

Procedure dictates the Nassau County DA's office has to justify the officers use of deadly force.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Re: Officer kills hostage and intruder.    Officer kills hostage and intruder.  EmptyMon May 20, 2013 10:41 am

He's a Nassau cop who used to work for NYPD. He's on leave because he fired his gun and somebody died. That's standard procedure in an officer related killing nation wide. As soon as somebody is killed by an officer they are put on leave until it's determined that there was no wrong doing on the officers part and that s/he is fit to return to duty. Mandatory counseling as well.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Officer kills hostage and intruder.    Officer kills hostage and intruder.  EmptyMon May 20, 2013 1:16 pm

eber322 wrote:
He's a Nassau cop who used to work for NYPD. He's on leave because he fired his gun and somebody died. That's standard procedure in an officer related killing nation wide. As soon as somebody is killed by an officer they are put on leave until it's determined that there was no wrong doing on the officers part and that s/he is fit to return to duty. Mandatory counseling as well.

Where in the world do you get this stuff?

Within a states borders, LE procedures are governed by the state, county, city in that order of presidence. In my state, just for discharging their weapon a officer is placed on administrative duties until the State Bureau of Investigation completes its investigation and clears the officer to return to their regular duties. There is no special consideration for an officer taking a life in the performance of their duties. Counseling also varies by jurisdiction. Again, it's mandated by the state, then county, and finally city.

Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Re: Officer kills hostage and intruder.    Officer kills hostage and intruder.  EmptyMon May 20, 2013 1:45 pm

Yeah, there are some discrepancies in the minor details, but I've never heard of a single police dept, modern day, that doesn't pull a cop from active duty after they kill somebody. Just like they all review shootings, or even discharges, to make sure they were above board. Police agencies all do this to cover their own @sses. If it's later found the cop did something wrong, and they let him keep working the streets, it's the dept or even the cities butt in the sling. Same thing if a cop fails to preform or breaks down on duty after something happened and the dept didn't get them counseling.

I doubt you could find a single city in this country that wouldn't have done this same thing in this situation. Desk duty, Sick leave, paid leave, etc it's all the same thing, getting the cop off the streets until his actions are cleared. Same thing with the counseling, the depts/cities have to cover their own butts in these cases.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Officer kills hostage and intruder.    Officer kills hostage and intruder.  EmptyMon May 20, 2013 3:21 pm

Wow. All I can say, is you'd be surprised. Nationwide, it isn't how you think.

Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Re: Officer kills hostage and intruder.    Officer kills hostage and intruder.  EmptyMon May 20, 2013 6:21 pm

I've never heard of a single pd that doesn't remove a cop from the street after a firing their gun, let alone a shooting or killing. I've never heard of one, but can give you a half dozen that do off the first web search result page.

Going back to your initial comment where you wondered why they put him on sick leave... Even if I'm wrong, it's apparent that a huge percentage of pd's put cops on leave after something like this, so nothing really surprising about it. Plus given that he killed an innocent girl instead of a bad guy, I can only imagine that this cop is in very bad mental shape and probably would have requested leave even if his dept doesn't mandate it.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Officer kills hostage and intruder.    Officer kills hostage and intruder.  EmptyTue May 21, 2013 10:20 am

You crack me up eber. You're talking web pages, and I'm talking real cops operating in the states of Washington, California, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Kansas, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, New York, Louisiana, Arkansas, Virginia, Illinois, Ohio and Michigan to name a few.

Going back to my comment, yeah, I question what they did, but only because of what department he works for and the circumstances. Nassau County PD is one of the highest paid departments in the state, well above even the NYPD. So budget wise, they can afford to add another officer to replace this one on patrol, while this one sits at a desk pending the investigation.

But from every article I've read, it seems as soon as his shift ended, he went on sick leave. As much as I've had to deal with soldiers suffering from PTSD the last 10 years, this just blows me away.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Re: Officer kills hostage and intruder.    Officer kills hostage and intruder.  EmptyTue May 21, 2013 2:17 pm

In other words I can provide documented evidence to support my claims, and you can't. All you can do is make undocumented second person claims about supposed pd policy. Now that's a crack up.

As far as Michigan goes, my home state, the Michigan State Police have a policy to place troopers involved in shootings on administrative leave pending the investigation's results. As does the pd of the State Capitol Lansing, Saginaw, Southfield (Detroit), Grand Rapids, Midland, Kalamazoo, Mount Pleasant, Belding... should I go on? That's the MI State Police, every big city in the state, and most of the mid sized ones as well.

And that's just the state I'm familiar with, I'm sure I'd find the same thing looking at any of those other states as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Officer kills hostage and intruder.    Officer kills hostage and intruder.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Officer kills hostage and intruder.
Page 1 of 1