Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.


scifi Forums
 
HomePortalCalendarPublicationsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share
 

 Meteor Shower!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bandit

Bandit

Posts : 981
Join date : 2012-11-14

Meteor Shower! Empty
PostSubject: Meteor Shower!   Meteor Shower! EmptyTue Dec 12, 2017 12:31 am

Hey folks, the time is near. Last year we couldn't see it because of the super moon. But it's the Geminid meteor shower. It's the largest of the year! We're talking over 200 meteors an hour! But the bigger deal, is this one was created by an asteroid.

It starts the night of the 12th. It reaches it's peak the night of the 13th.

So if you're into Astronomy like me, this is a must see. You don't need a telescope or even binoculars. But dress for the weather! If you want to know where to look, find the constellation Orion, then look it it's upper right, or your left. That group of stars is the constellation Gemini.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Posts : 4626
Join date : 2009-10-07

Meteor Shower! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meteor Shower!   Meteor Shower! EmptyThu Dec 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Bandit wrote:
Hey folks, the time is near. Last year we couldn't see it because of the super moon. But it's the Geminid meteor shower. It's the largest of the year! We're talking over 200 meteors an hour! But the bigger deal, is this one was created by an asteroid.

It starts the night of the 12th. It reaches it's peak the night of the 13th.

So if you're into Astronomy like me, this is a must see. You don't need a telescope or even binoculars. But dress for the weather! If you want to know where to look, find the constellation Orion, then look it it's upper right, or your left. That group of stars is the constellation Gemini.
We were clouded up the whole time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
eber322

eber322

Posts : 2902
Join date : 2009-10-10
Location : Michigan

Meteor Shower! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meteor Shower!   Meteor Shower! EmptyThu Dec 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Pissedoffvulcan wrote:
We were clouded up the whole time.

Me too. Plus Michigan was a poor place to view it from anyway. About like that eclipse last summer, actually had a clear day but saw nothing of it.

_________________
...the only part of the criminal law that doesn't apply to reporters is the death penalty, at least since 2002, when the Supreme Court decided in Atkins v. Virginia that it's "cruel and unusual punishment" to execute the retarded. - Ann Coulter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bandit

Bandit

Posts : 981
Join date : 2012-11-14

Meteor Shower! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meteor Shower!   Meteor Shower! EmptyFri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 am

I had a good show despite the cold. It's wild to see. While many think the meteors are hitting Earth, they are not. Earth is actually flying through them at around 70,000MPH. Something was there around 5,000 years ago, but was obliterated when the asteroid hit it. All that is left, is the debris field. We fly through it every year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Posts : 4626
Join date : 2009-10-07

Meteor Shower! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meteor Shower!   Meteor Shower! EmptyFri Dec 15, 2017 4:01 pm

Bandit wrote:
I had a good show despite the cold. It's wild to see. While many think the meteors are hitting Earth, they are not. Earth is actually flying through them at around 70,000MPH. Something was there around 5,000 years ago, but was obliterated when the asteroid hit it. All that is left, is the debris field. We fly through it every year.
Krypton.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
Bandit

Bandit

Posts : 981
Join date : 2012-11-14

Meteor Shower! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meteor Shower!   Meteor Shower! EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Tonight is the Geminid Meteor shower. But as a bonus, we also get to see Comet 46P.

So space geeks, check your local weather then check out the sky. jump
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

Posts : 4626
Join date : 2009-10-07

Meteor Shower! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meteor Shower!   Meteor Shower! EmptyFri Dec 14, 2018 2:48 pm

Bandit wrote:
Tonight is the Geminid Meteor shower. But as a bonus, we also get to see Comet 46P.

So space geeks, check your local weather then check out the sky. jump
Not us it is cloudy and rainy. No show for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
Bandit

Bandit

Posts : 981
Join date : 2012-11-14

Meteor Shower! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meteor Shower!   Meteor Shower! EmptySun Dec 16, 2018 11:37 pm

Rained out here too. But did get to see 46P tonight! yeahbaby
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




Meteor Shower! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meteor Shower!   Meteor Shower! Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Meteor Shower!
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» MoonaticFairy - Meteor Shower
» The return of Meteor Products?
» How to word a pottery painting bridal shower?
» Gloster Meteor F:1
» SHOWer TIME

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sci Fi Forums :: News, Science and Sports :: Science :: Space Exploration-
Jump to: