Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.

Sci Fi Forums

scifi Forums

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

USS Fitzgerald DDG-62

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bandit

PostSubject: USS Fitzgerald DDG-62   Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:02 pm

This probably belongs in the politics forum, because that's what it will turn into. A massive political fluster cluck!

Known facts:

1. Both ships were on course and would have passed each other safely as tracked from shore. Both ships also had functioning surface radar.

2. The cargo ship suddenly makes a hard turn to starboard (right) for unknown reasons.

3. Doing so, they slam into the Destroyers starboard (right) side, in the most critical place, at just the right time (0130-0230hrs) when most of the crew is sleeping.

4. The cargo ship destroys the communications room, machine shop, and berthing compartment, killing 7 crewmen. It also destroys the Captains quarters almost crushing him. The Captain and 3 other sailors are MEDEVAC'd.

5. The Destroyer is crippled, has minimal power, is listing badly, and flooding. It cannot call for help, nor try to make any repairs.

6. The cargo ship waits an hour to report the incident.

I'm not prone to wild suspicions, or conspiracies. But I don't see how in the hell they are calling this an "accident".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eber322

PostSubject: Re: USS Fitzgerald DDG-62   Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:43 pm

I don't see how the Navy couldn't get out of the way of the cargo ship whether it tried to hit them purposely or not. The only way it couldn't run circles around the cargo ship is if they were very close together, why were they so close to each other?

...the only part of the criminal law that doesn't apply to reporters is the death penalty, at least since 2002, when the Supreme Court decided in Atkins v. Virginia that it's "cruel and unusual punishment" to execute the retarded. - Ann Coulter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bandit

PostSubject: Re: USS Fitzgerald DDG-62   Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:16 am

eber322 wrote:
I don't see how the Navy couldn't get out of the way of the cargo ship whether it tried to hit them purposely or not. The only way it couldn't run circles around the cargo ship is if they were very close together, why were they so close to each other?

They were not, so to speak. The ship that hit the Fitz is just over 900 feet long. So if it was 1000 feet away and passing by, no problem. But cargo ships cruise at their top speed, or say 15-20 knots max. While the Destroyer can go twice that, they do not except under combat conditions. Regardless, it takes time to actually get up to that speed. Since the cargo ship made a sharp turn now headed right for the destroyer, it was less than half the distance the radar last showed and going full speed. Any maneuver the Fitz could do, still takes time and distance. There simply wasn't time to react, and nothing they could do except sound the collision alarm.

While this is just my own observation(s), the cargo ship timed it perfectly. If not for the actions of one amazingly brave sailor, the Fitz would have sank. The only reason they (cargo ship) bothered to report it, although an hour later, was they could see the Fitz didn't sink, and they were the only ship in the area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eber322

PostSubject: Re: USS Fitzgerald DDG-62   Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:42 am

Well, all I know is my father who did two tours on a destroyer during Vietnam agrees something is off with this story. He says you effectively can't do sharp turn on ships that large due to the mass causing the ship to keep moving in its original direction even after the bow turns. The more mass, and the faster the ship is moving, the longer the ship keeps traveling on its old course before the mass moves in the new direction of the bow. Meaning the cargo ship is not only slower, but drastically less maneuverable than the destroyer.

In other words unless everybody on the bridge was asleep, or they were traveling in very close formation to the cargo ship, the destroyer should have seen them turning and turned away within seconds of the cargo ship changing course. Or increased speed or both, and they wouldn't have been able to hit them. However, if they were in very close formation, the destroyer wouldn't have had those seconds to react.

...the only part of the criminal law that doesn't apply to reporters is the death penalty, at least since 2002, when the Supreme Court decided in Atkins v. Virginia that it's "cruel and unusual punishment" to execute the retarded. - Ann Coulter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bandit

PostSubject: Re: USS Fitzgerald DDG-62   Today at 12:31 am

If we were talking about the marine technology of the Vietnam era, I'd agree. But nobody has used that junk in decades. Even gas turbines that are currently used by many vessels today were made in the 70-80's.

I suspect the cargo ship had pods. Both Japanese and Filipino ground tracking stations reported the cargo ship made a sharp right turn (90 degrees) and was confirmed by the Fitz.

Nobody from the Fitz was at fault. In incidents like this where tens of millions of dollars in damage is done to a warship, plus lives lost and more injured, the Navy would have relieved somebody by now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: USS Fitzgerald DDG-62   

Back to top Go down

USS Fitzgerald DDG-62
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1