Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.

scifi Forums

HomePortalCalendarPublicationsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Good news... maybe... but probably not.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
eber322

PostSubject: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:02 pm

Quote :
CBS is boldly going back to 'Star Trek'

Star Trek is blasting off with another new TV series.

The untitled series, due in January 2017, will mark the first created specifically for CBS's All Access streaming platform, introduced last fall, with the premiere episode to debut on CBS. It will feature new characters "seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations," CBS says, and appear soon after the franchise celebrates its 50th anniversary.

Alex Kurtzman, who co-wrote the 2009 Star Trek feature film and 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness, will executive produce the new project, which will also be syndicated overseas.

“There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, CBS Television Studios' chief. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

No details were announced for the project, the sixth live-action TV series in the franchise, which began with the original on NBC in 1966 starring William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. (The last, Star Trek Enterprise, aired on UPN from to 2001 to 2005). The new series is unrelated to Star Trek Beyond, another feature film planned for release next summer.

But it's a canny way to lure subscriptions to All Access, which costs $5.99 a month and is aimed at younger viewers without cable susbscriptions.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/11/02/cbs-new-star-trek-series-streaming/75036818/

A new Star Trek series sounds great, until you see the same guy who has been writing the Jar Trek movies will be doing the show. Makes me thing that the series will not be Star Trek, but will instead be more Jar Trek. That would be exactly what I've feared would happen if they made a new tv show.

...the only part of the criminal law that doesn't apply to reporters is the death penalty, at least since 2002, when the Supreme Court decided in Atkins v. Virginia that it's "cruel and unusual punishment" to execute the retarded. - Ann Coulter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pissedoffvulcan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:10 pm

SOG you beat me to it. Was going to post it. From what I hear more and more networks are doing online stuff like this. Soon cable will be obsolete you can just pay for what you want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
eber322

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Nah, this should be on the regular CBS channel, which is still free if you get over the air. Even on cable or satellite the local channels are $20 a month or less, and that's for all of them. I'm not going to pay CBS $6 a month to get access to their online only channel just to watch this. If every channel starts doing this it will cost more than cable ever did to watch all the shows you want to see. A lot of people will just end up grabbing this for free secondhand online. Since it will most likely be Jar Trek instead of Star Trek anyway, I'll not have to worry about it.

...the only part of the criminal law that doesn't apply to reporters is the death penalty, at least since 2002, when the Supreme Court decided in Atkins v. Virginia that it's "cruel and unusual punishment" to execute the retarded. - Ann Coulter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:49 pm

I'm not interested.

1. I have no intention to pay to watch a TV show. I already pay enough for satellite and online viewing.

2. It has nothing to do with established Trek.

3. After suffering through "Supergirl" it's clear to me CBS cares little, or not at all about the source material. So don't try to convince me how much respect they have for the franchise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pissedoffvulcan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:57 pm

I thought it was only going to be on CBS all Access. Yes I already pay to much for cable. But I think I might go to Dish and I can kill my land line. Because where I am moving to has cell service.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
eber322

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:43 pm

Pissedoffvulcan wrote:
I thought it was only going to be on CBS all Access.

It is, other than the pilot which will also air on CBS. That's an obvious attempt to draw people in and get them to pay $6 a month to watch what should be free in the first place.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:36 pm

Pissedoffvulcan wrote:
I thought it was only going to be on CBS all Access. Yes I already pay to much for cable. But I think I might go to Dish and I can kill my land line. Because where I am moving to has cell service.

Nope. You have to subscribe to CBS "All access", which is a PPV service. Here is a better article:

Link

As you can see, all that will air, is a PREVIEW of the first episode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eber322

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:40 pm

Probably not, but I'm wondering if it's possible that the Star Trek: Renegades fan made show might be what CBS will be putting online? I know they have completed the fist episode and submitted it to CBS as a pilot. I've not yet watched it, but the latest trailer didn't look that good and I've seen bad reviews for it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:26 am

It was in the news today that the star of the show is a female, but NOT a Starfleet Captain. I'm not sure there will even be a starship involved. But they did say there will be a homosexual character.

Need I say more?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skycastle

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:46 pm

I refuse to pay more for a TV show. I'm already paying enough with Dish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eber322

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:42 am

Yeah, I'll not pay to see it. I'll see it eventually, probably when it comes out on dvd and I can rent it from Netflix.

I don't understand the comments they've made about the "star" of the show being a female, but not the Captain. The Captains have never been "The" star of the show anyway. Trek shows have always been an ensemble cast where the entire crew have been the "stars". Sounds like this show is going to focus on just one person or something.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skycastle

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:06 pm

Did someone say there would be a homosexual character in this? There's one in the new Star Trek movie - Sulu - and that's awful. Even the original Sulu, George Takei, was disappointed by this transgression. Gene Roddenberry wouldn't have approved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eber322

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:54 pm

Yeah, I believe it was Bryan Fuller, who's making the series who proudly announced a "gay" character. And since the other comments make it sound like the shows is going to focus on one non-Captain female, I expect she'll also be the lesbian star.

It's too bad, I really like Fuller's other work like Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, and  Pushing Daisies. some of my favorite shows. Although there were homosexuals in episodes of those shows as well.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skycastle

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:17 pm

I also liked Wonderfalls, and Pushing Daisies. Miss them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eber322

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:20 am

If you've never watched "Dead Like Me", then you should check it out. I actually liked that show even better than the other two, definitely in the same vain as far as the humor. There were two seasons plus a movie made of DLM.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skycastle

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:48 pm

eber322 wrote:
If you've never watched "Dead Like Me", then you should check it out. I actually liked that show even better than the other two, definitely in the same vain as far as the humor. There were two seasons plus a movie made of DLM.

Ok, if it comes on again I'll watch it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good news... maybe... but probably not.   

Back to top Go down

Good news... maybe... but probably not.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1