Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

The Last Ship.

Go down 
+2
Bandit
Pissedoffvulcan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 5:51 pm

Being retired Navy I am wondering what how this show will be. If they will be close to accurate and is it truly the last ship. Ships are very limited on what they can carry for fuel food supplies. On a ship you carry between 45 and 90 days worth of food. Not to mention if the evaps break down your screwed if they do not get them fixed. I am just wondering how they are going to pull this one off. Or just shut all reality out. Most ships do not stay out longer than 90 days without hitting some port.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
Bandit

Bandit

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 1:25 pm

I remember watching The Last Resort. It made the Navy look like a bunch of clowns. Not an ounce of reality in the show. It was also cancelled before the show ended, to the point they redid the season finale.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Bandit wrote:
I remember watching The Last Resort. It made the Navy look like a bunch of clowns. Not an ounce of reality in the show. It was also cancelled before the show ended, to the point they redid the season finale.
Never seen that one. Watched on show with a sub where someone hijacked a nuke and launched it. They ended up on some island. It was so far out of reality they cancelled that one too.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 9:05 pm

Pissedoffvulcan wrote:

Never seen that one. Watched on show with a sub where someone hijacked a nuke and launched it. They ended up on some island. It was so far out of reality they cancelled that one too.

Yes, you did. It's the same show. Perhaps reading this will refresh your memory.

Last Resort
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptyFri Jun 13, 2014 5:28 pm

Bandit wrote:
Pissedoffvulcan wrote:

Yes, you did. It's the same show. Perhaps reading this will refresh your memory.

Last Resort
Alright now you jogged my memory. My wife would get pissed with me when I started pointing out all the things they were doing wrong. Like when they beat those Navy SEALs. I was ya right. Oh and thanks for the link I seen who thought the show showed promise.

You notice I never posted one comment on this because of how bad it was.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Bandit

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:20 pm

I expect no different from this show. It's set in the future where 80% of the worlds population has been wiped out by a pandemic. The "Last Ship" is a US Guided Missile Destroyer.

First off, with that many dead, our infastructure would fail as fast as people started dying. Power, communications, fresh drinking water, all of them.

Second, is the 20% unaffected. If like the crew of this last ship, they all would have had to been "at sea", while the pandemic spread. This is because the premise of the show, is they are searching for a cure.

Last is the ship itself. It runs off gasoline. Has a range of around 4,000 miles, and a crew of 380 tops. Of its 96 missiles, 1 type is surface to air, another anti-submarine, and the last is Tomahawks. It has a 5 inch gun, 2ea 25mm guns, and 4ea .50cal guns plus the CIWS. And lastly she has 2ea triple tube Mk46 torpedo launchers. And although not weapons, the latest version has 2ea SH60 choppers.

Read this:

Quote :

Captain Tom Chandler and the crew of the USS Nathan James set out for the Arctic with two civilian virologists, Dr. Rachel Scott and Dr. Quincy Tophet, who claim to be studying birds. When they come under attack by a renegade team of Russian forces, Chandler learns these virologists are actually collecting samples of the source of a deadly virus that has wiped out over half the human population while they've been at sea. As they head home on the orders of the remaining U.S. government, Chandler and his crew realize that home is a shadow of what they left, and the safest place to develop a vaccine for this deadly disease is out at sea on their ship.

So right from the premier, it's pure fantasy.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Rush was commenting on this. He got a copy of 3 episodes said it was really good but you had to stretch some things. He got the copy from Adam Baldwin.
Back to top Go down
TwiceWise

TwiceWise

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 11:28 pm

Well, I gotta say that I liked it. They dealt with things like food and fuel in a credible way. However, I also liked the first episode of last resort. The problem with last resort is that they ran out of story and so began making filler episodes with nothing but conflict on the island. The crew of the sub vs. the local gangsta's on the island.

However, this series does have a credible story that should sustain the drama for awhile, and not only that but I am encouraged by the fact that the entire Washington D.C. power structure broke down when all of the politicians died. Maybe this pandemic will save us. It would almost be worth it.

I did notice a couple of politically correct moments. One of the female crew members talked about her "girlfriend" back home.

I also thought that they shrugged off the EMP pulse from the Nuke pretty easily. That nuke would have fried every piece of electronic equipment on the ship. It would take more than a new fuse to fix what was wrong.

Also the Russia attack Helo's weren't of Russian design. They cheaped out and used stock footage.

Otherwise - a pretty decent show.
Back to top Go down
Annoyed

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 5:14 pm

You have to allow some license in order for them to tell the story. I'm not going to quibble about the odd detail being wrong if the story they're telling is good. Last Ship has a good start, but it's too soon to tell where it will lead.

Last Resort is a good example.. Although not technically perfect, it started out with a good story. Too bad they turned it into a chick flick in order to draw more female viewers.

This is a problem any show like this faces. A good military story is by necessity going to appeal more strongly to male viewers, but female viewers are the more prized demographic of the advertisers.
If you take the approach that Last Resort took, adding more relationship stuff and other elements to attract the audience the advertisers want, you're going to drive the core audience away.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 6:52 pm

I finally watched it. I will give them an A for effort. They almost got the general quarters thing right. Which they did better than any show. But I can understand it is an hour show so I will give them a pass. They are dealing with fuel and food. Also a ship that is gone for 4 months is going to receive supplies and fuel. Just the way it is you cannot carry that much food and fuel for 4 months without resupplying. But again it is a show so I will give them a pass.

Also there has to be some United States subs someplace that are not effected. They can go three months on food don't need fuel. I am sure the captain would have known they were not studying birds with the hazard suits on board and the lab that would have been a major red flag.

Now also they did not show them deconing the food supplies. There is a procedure for that. But again you have think they did and it is an hour show.

Now for the helos. A ship takes four missiles will be able to sail but it will not war worthy. Did you notice no damage to the ship. Major blooper. I would not think the Russians would shoot missiles at the ship for fear of destroying the cure. Also those helos would never have gotten that close without being shot out of sky. However again they want to make good tv so I can forgive them for that. They did do better than any show about the Navy I have seen.

Only seen that really ticked me off is the Command Master Chief asking for permission to salute the captain. You do not salute in doors period. The Command Master Chief is a seasoned veteran your chiefs teach the Ensigns and LTs. That is the only thing that ticked me off.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 5:40 pm

Oh one last thing you never wear dress uniforms while out to sea. Only when you are leaving or entering port. The Command Master Chief would be in Khakis or the new camo for the Navy.
Back to top Go down
ford plasko

ford plasko

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 7:39 pm

Well they have a big fan here I can tell ya. That was the best way to clean out Gitmo I have ever seen.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptySat Jul 05, 2014 3:57 pm

ford plasko wrote:
Well they have a big fan here I can tell ya. That was the best way to clean out Gitmo I have ever seen.
Ya am liking it. But the next episode is going to be funny. They pitting a state of art ship against a Russian POS. Last time that happened was in the 80s when Qaddafi was using soviet technology. We were sitting in the med and crossed the line of death. He fired missiles and they either overshot or landed short. That was 30 years ago. Imagine the tech they have now. The only thing that would be trouble is docked at the peer. That would give the US a little problem.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 5:02 pm

My biggest complaint with this show was that they just had to throw in a lesbian comment in the first ep. Can't there be even ONE show on tv without homosexuals?
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 9:56 am

eber322 wrote:
My biggest complaint with this show was that they just had to throw in a lesbian comment in the first ep. Can't there be even ONE show on tv without homosexuals?
When I first joined the Navy they called it The New Navy. Well guess what it is the new Navy again. LOL. Don't ask don't tell don't pursue worked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Last Ship.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship.    The Last Ship.  Empty

Back to top Go down

The Last Ship.
Page 1 of 1