Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.


scifi Forums
 
HomePortalCalendarPublicationsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Atheists are out of the closet

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bandit

avatar

Posts : 722
Join date : 2012-11-14

PostSubject: Atheists are out of the closet   Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:23 pm

Read this article:

Humanist Community

This caught my eye:

Quote :
"If you are a religionist and you come and sit in our pew, the only way you can leave offended is because of what you don’t hear and what you don’t see. We won’t be there to make a stance against religion or against God."

And with that, what are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pissedoffvulcan
Admin
avatar

Posts : 4343
Join date : 2009-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Atheists are out of the closet   Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:29 pm

My thoughts are this. Respect each others views on this. I have come to one conclusion on this subject. If you are an atheist religious people are trying to shove it down your throat. If you are a religious person atheist are trying to shut down religion. Seems to me that there is some kind of way to work this out between atheist and religion. That is my thought and I am sticking to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com Online
eber322

avatar

Posts : 2753
Join date : 2009-10-10
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Atheists are out of the closet   Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:55 pm

Pissedoffvulcan wrote:
If you are an atheist religious people are trying to shove it down your throat. If you are a religious person atheist are trying to shut down religion.

I've never seen Religious people trying to shove religion down atheists throats... at least no more than they do to other groups. There are simply some groups, like Jehovah's Witnesses that insist on being pushy and going door to door. They go around bothering Christians all the time. I've not seen any of them however that don't stop if you tell them, "Not interested, don't come back." Most of the people I've seen who feel harassed by them simply lack the courage to tell them to take a hike and so keep getting return visits. 

As far as the article goes... if atheists want to play at church without God, fine. Maybe they'll stop being so hateful to others and stop trying to destroy religion if they feel they have the equivalent.

_________________
...the only part of the criminal law that doesn't apply to reporters is the death penalty, at least since 2002, when the Supreme Court decided in Atkins v. Virginia that it's "cruel and unusual punishment" to execute the retarded. - Ann Coulter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pissedoffvulcan
Admin
avatar

Posts : 4343
Join date : 2009-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Atheists are out of the closet   Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:12 pm

eber322 wrote:
Pissedoffvulcan wrote:
If you are an atheist religious people are trying to shove it down your throat. If you are a religious person atheist are trying to shut down religion.

I've never seen Religious people trying to shove religion down atheists throats... at least no more than they do to other groups. There are simply some groups, like Jehovah's Witnesses that insist on being pushy and going door to door. They go around bothering Christians all the time. I've not seen any of them however that don't stop if you tell them, "Not interested, don't come back." Most of the people I've seen who feel harassed by them simply lack the courage to tell them to take a hike and so keep getting return visits. 

As far as the article goes... if atheists want to play at church without God, fine. Maybe they'll stop being so hateful to others and stop trying to destroy religion if they feel they have the equivalent.
Eber you have to think of what I am saying. Perception. What the perception is by both sides.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com Online
Bandit

avatar

Posts : 722
Join date : 2012-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Atheists are out of the closet   Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:07 pm

In instances such as this, Atheists absolutely are mocking Christians. So it isn't a matter of Christians giving them a bad reputation, they're doing it to themselves.


I couldn't help but notice one thing missing. Mass. I can't help but wonder why they didn't make a mockery of that as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ilaugh



Posts : 335
Join date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Atheists are out of the closet   Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Bandit wrote:
In instances such as this, Atheists absolutely are mocking Christians. So it isn't a matter of Christians giving them a bad reputation, they're doing it to themselves.
I don't see how. Is any group of people gathering together to support one another in the name of some philosophy or non-Christ based religion "mocking Christians"? Are Hindus mocking Christians? How about Jainists, or even Scientologists? Just because atheists don't believe in a god doesn't mean they don't follow some sort of philosophy, and enjoy gathering with other like-minded people for support, and to discuss ideas. So I don't see how they're giving themselves a bad reputation by doing this, unless you're starting with a negative opinion to begin with. Besides Christians don't need atheists to make a mockery of religion as long as they have people Peter Popoff to do it for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bandit

avatar

Posts : 722
Join date : 2012-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Atheists are out of the closet   Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:08 pm

ilaugh wrote:
I don't see how. Is any group of people gathering together to support one another in the name of some philosophy or non-Christ based religion "mocking Christians"? Are Hindus mocking Christians? How about Jainists, or even Scientologists? Just because atheists don't believe in a god doesn't mean they don't follow some sort of philosophy, and enjoy gathering with other like-minded people for support, and to discuss ideas. So I don't see how they're giving themselves a bad reputation by doing this, unless you're starting with a negative opinion to begin with. Besides Christians don't need atheists to make a mockery of religion as long as they have people Peter Popoff to do it for them.

Perhaps you missed this:

Quote :

Epstein and his group of atheists have begun to build their Cambridge community and solemnize its Sunday meetings to resemble a traditional religious service.

Atheists groups meet all the time here. None of them do this. And they've been here as long as I have and longer (over 20 years).

It's a matter of perception.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ilaugh



Posts : 335
Join date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Atheists are out of the closet   Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:38 pm

I didn't miss it. I just don't see how that's making a mockery of Christianity. Is any non-Christian Sunday service making a mockery of Christians? Do Christians hold copyright over Sunday meetings? Do local Christians feel it's an affront to their Sunday customs? Are the atheists  making a big-to-do about it, pointing to themselves saying "look how silly we're being," or something in that manner?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bandit

avatar

Posts : 722
Join date : 2012-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Atheists are out of the closet   Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:10 pm

ilaugh wrote:
I didn't miss it. I just don't see how that's making a mockery of Christianity. Is any non-Christian Sunday service making a mockery of Christians? Do Christians hold copyright over Sunday meetings? Do local Christians feel it's an affront to their Sunday customs? Are the atheists  making a big-to-do about it, pointing to themselves saying "look how silly we're being," or something in that manner?

Tell me what non-Christian religion has a religious service every Sunday. Is it the Hindus, Jainists, or even Scientologists?

This group is in the news for a reason. Again, it's all about perception.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ilaugh



Posts : 335
Join date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Atheists are out of the closet   Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:50 pm

So, Christians do have dibs on Sunday?

After reading the article for a second time I still find nothing mocking here. If any Christians are insulted by this group, that's on them. Perhaps it come from a sense of privilege.


Bandit wrote:
This group is in the news for a reason.
If it's to make this group look blasphemous or just mocking then it failed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bandit

avatar

Posts : 722
Join date : 2012-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Atheists are out of the closet   Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:39 pm

ilaugh wrote:

If it's to make this group look blasphemous or just mocking then it failed.

I Disagree. However, I am not an Atheist nor a Christian. As such, I feel no need to defend either belief system.

Still, it doesn't mean I'm so ignorant, I cannot tell when a group is being mocked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ilaugh



Posts : 335
Join date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Atheists are out of the closet   Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:30 am

To begin with, atheism, at least my atheism isn't a belief system. It just describes a position on the belief in a god.

Christians of thin skin may feel they're being mocked, but all I see is a group of people lead by a Humanist Chaplain  gathering together to discuss ideas, philosophies, or whatever is on their minds. It's not meant to be anti-religious regardless of what day they gather or how they conduct their ceremonies.

I don't believe that my lack of seeing mockery afoot here makes me ignorant. It's a matter of opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pissedoffvulcan
Admin
avatar

Posts : 4343
Join date : 2009-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Atheists are out of the closet   Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:11 pm

ilaugh wrote:
To begin with, atheism, at least my atheism isn't a belief system. It just describes a position on the belief in a god.

Christians of thin skin may feel they're being mocked, but all I see is a group of people lead by a Humanist Chaplain  gathering together to discuss ideas, philosophies, or whatever is on their minds. It's not meant to be anti-religious regardless of what day they gather or how they conduct their ceremonies.

I don't believe that my lack of seeing mockery afoot here makes me ignorant. It's a matter of opinion.
I am not thinned skinned. I have been watching this one to see where it was going. I have to agree with Bandit on this one. However I have seen many thinned skinned atheist. Lawsuits against football players having prayer before a game. So what. Or lawsuits against students wearing shirts with Jesus on them. Again get a life. As far as what those people I could really care less.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com Online
ilaugh



Posts : 335
Join date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Atheists are out of the closet   Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:40 pm

Pissedoffvulcan wrote:
Lawsuits against football players having prayer before a game.
Well, teacher lead prayer is unconstitutional. As far as being thin skinned, I fully realize that they're people on all fronts that fall into that category.

Still don't see the mockery, if it were ridicule you'd think it would be more evident.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Atheists are out of the closet   

Back to top Go down
 
Atheists are out of the closet
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» PoshMark: Shop in my closet!
» There's a Monster in My Closet
» THE CASTLE CLOSET: BECKETT AND THE WHITE SHIRTS OF WOE?
» Coming out of the closet
» I found this camera in my closet

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sci Fi Forums :: Science Fiction TV Shows. :: The Basement General Discussion, Politics, Pet Peeves. :: General Discussion.-
Jump to: