Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.

scifi Forums

HomePortalCalendarPublicationsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

teenage driver kills father and daughter.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
justmemyselfandi

PostSubject: teenage driver kills father and daughter.   Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:46 am

Do we really need to give these kids brand new high powered cars to play with. Shouldn't there be a way to limit the speed of cars that younger drivers drive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Annoyed

PostSubject: Re: teenage driver kills father and daughter.   Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:22 am

You can't legislate a cure for stupidity.

And even if you did, it would be hard to come up with any kind of limiting system or governor that a determined teenager wouldn't be able to defeat. The only approach would be to produce severely underpowered cars that weren't limited but just didn't have an engine big enough to do the job. Good luck selling those.

The young do tend to take foolish chances when behind the wheel because it just hasn't sunk in yet that they can be killed. And I'm not claiming that I was immune from this brand of stupidity either. I started driving in the early 70's, at the tail end of Detroit's muscle car era, so there was an ample supply of hot iron that a youngster could get his hands on. I had several cars that could easily exceed 150 mph.

I think the only reason I lived through that period of my life was that I had been driving mini bikes, motorcycles and junk cars off-road since I was 5 years old, so by the time I was 16, I had already developed a very good skill set when it came to controlling a moving vehicle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

teenage driver kills father and daughter.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1