Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.
Sci Fi Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scifi Forums

HomePortalLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

In The News

Go down 
+6
ilaugh
justmemyselfandi
Skycastle
TRUE LIBERTY
madskillz
Pissedoffvulcan
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
eber322

eber322

In The News - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 3:17 pm

madskillz wrote:

Moving natural gas is incredibly inexpensive. And transmitting electricity long distances wastes some of it. And natural gas is not only used by electrical plants. It's cheaper, easier and more economical to just send the natural gas to where the electrical plants and other users of the gas are.

The initial cost of laying pipeline to move gas is very expensive. Almost every place already has electrical towers close by. Of course other places use Natural gas, and natural gas is already sent to some power plants. The point of my post is that 90%+ of natural gas from oil fields is burned off on site just to get it out of way so they can get to the oil. It's used for nothing and wasted. Whether it could better be used on site, or sent elsewhere to be used doesn't really matter. Point is it should be used rather than wasted.
Back to top Go down
TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 5:25 pm

madskillz wrote:
eber322 wrote:
One thing that should be done is building power plants on oil fields. All oil fields have an overabundance of natural gas, so much so that most of it is simply burned off without providing any benefit. If they'd use it to power steam turbines it would at least be useful.

Wow. My head is exploding from reading these posts.

For 30 years the electric industry and their allies the Republicans fought tooth and nail against any attempt to clean up coal fired electric plants.

Current "clean coal" electric plants are SUBSIDEZED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. And in fact, they are not clean. They are cleaner then old ones, but not clean. They still produce mountains of sludge full of every bad thing known to man.

And, of course, it has been part of the Repubican Party platform for over 30 years to allow coal fired plants to not put in new technology on old plants. However, they also want to be able to add capacity to old plants and be exempt from any of the newer type standards. Which would basically mean very, very few plants would actually be improved.

So, if your idea of a good idea is government subsidized power plants that procduce mountains of poisonous sludge, which by the way, is dumped anywere convenient, and that still pumps out radioactiviy equivalent to a three mile island every year, have at it.

No what they fought is the heavy ridiculous regulations put on these plants and the ability to build new ones making the price to run them so heavy by government burdens they have to be subsidized.

40 percent of that waste caught by the filters goes to the construction industry. The rest is not just put anywhere but put with our lined waste dumps.
Back to top Go down
TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Gotta be careful around the gym. Anything can happen :shock:
Back to top Go down
Skycastle

Skycastle

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 7:04 pm

So, brain damage causes queerdom.

I always wondered about that...
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Well the whole article is suspect right from the get go... "Burly rugby player"... that guy is the exact opposite of "burly", he's a little skinny twerp. Apparently he not only woke up gay, but his body went from "burly" to girly.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 7:28 pm

Looks to me like he has been working on it for a while.
Back to top Go down
https://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
madskillz

madskillz

PostSubject: Teens using vodka tampons to get drunk   In The News - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 8:00 pm

http://www.kpho.com/story/15981315/teens-using-vodka-tampons-to-get-drunk

Teens using vodka tampons to get drunk

PHOENIX (KPHO) -
It's no secret teenagers sometimes experiment with alcohol, even drugs, but new ways they're finding to get drunk had jaws dropping in our newsroom.

"Quicker high, they think it's going to last longer, it's more intense," said Dr. Dan Quan from Maricopa Medical Center.

"This is not isolated to any school, any city, any financial area," Officer Chris Thomas, a school resource officer, said. "This is everywhere."

When we heard how kids are getting drunk these days, we thought no way.

So we hit up the experts to find out if it's an urban legend or if it's legit.

"There's been documented cases of people going to the hospital with alcohol poisoning just from utilizing it that way," Thomas said.

Thomas spends his days patrolling the halls of a Valley high school. He's heard first hand how kids are getting tipsy.

"What we're hearing about is teenagers utilizing tampons, soak them in vodka first before using them," Thomas said.

"It gets absorbed directly into the bloodstream. There's no barrier, there's no stomach acid to prevent it," Thomas said.

"I would expect it to absorb pretty quickly as well, because it's a very vascular structure," Quan told CBS 5.

"This is definitely not just girls," Thomas said. "Guys will also use it and they'll insert it into their rectums."

And that's not all.

"Using a beer bong rectally is the same concept as a vodka soaked tampon," Thomas said.

Rather than the traditional beer bong you'd find at a college party, kids are sticking the tube elsewhere to get wasted.

They're calling it "butt chugging."

"A lot of people believe it would cover it up, your breath won't smell like alcohol so you can hide it from the parents, hide it from police," Thomas said.

But take it from this cop, it won't work.

It's not just jail time that might be a problem, these new tricks are really risky and could cause some serious problems.

"It can cause mucosal irritation, meaning the vaginal wall can be irritated," Quan said.

Plus, what if you over do it? Irritation could be the least of your problems.

"Some of the dangers associated with this is there's no barrier," Thomas said.

There's also no gag reflex, and if it isn't going down the hatch you won't have that tell tale sign you've had too much to drink, which means you won't throw up if you've got alcohol poisoning, and you'll pass out before you know there's a problem.

"It's problematic because you don't really know how much you're going to absorb," Quan said.

It turns out that a super tampon can hold about a shot of vodka, which is pretty potent when it's going straight into your system.

"If the person does pass out or lose consciousness, health care professionals won't necessarily know that they have to look in those areas and that may delay treatment," Quan said.

If you're a parent of a teenager, what can you do to make sure tampons are used for the job they're intended and nothing more?

"Well then you need to get involved," Thomas said. "Stop being your kid's friend and be their parent first."

Another myth is that kids apparently think getting drunk that way means they would pass a breathalyzer test because they didn't drink the booze, but that's not true. The test checks out what's in your blood stream, not what's on your breath.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Just when you think they thought of everything.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 11:26 pm

Coming soon to all channels! Hurrah Hurrah!!!
Back to top Go down
TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 11:43 am

Well this is one way to weed out the dumb ones in the herd. My pity for these stupid teenagers that kill themselves or become ill is gone from such things. It just leaves more openings for the smart kids that know better to do such things. You can make rules as high as the sky and they are going to find away around it.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 1:44 pm

ssvs04 wrote:
Well this is one way to weed out the dumb ones in the herd. My pity for these stupid teenagers that kill themselves or become ill is gone from such things. It just leaves more openings for the smart kids that know better to do such things. You can make rules as high as the sky and they are going to find away around it.
You can't fix stupid. :|
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Anyone want to buy a car?   In The News - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 6:02 pm

WEYBRIDGE, England -- A car involved in motor sport's worst ever accident -- in which 84 people were killed -- is expected to be sold at auction Thursday after being kept in a garage for the past 42 years in the north of England.

Detailed as Lot 433 in the December sale of UK auctioneers Bonhams, the Austin Healey two-seater racing car is expected to sell for nearly US$1.6 million, The (London) Times reported.

In 1955, the car had swerved to avoid another vehicle at a refueling stop during the Le Mans 24-hour race and was hit by a Mercedes-Benz traveling at 150mph. The Mercedes took off and crashed into the crowd and sparked several fires.

Read: Steve McQueen's Fire Suit from 'LeMans' Being Auctioned

The driver and 83 spectators were killed, while 120 other people were hurt.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/12/01/racing-car-involved-in-84-deaths-to-be-auctioned/?test=faces#ixzz1fKKYQZAQ
Back to top Go down
Skycastle

Skycastle

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 12:48 am

People do the damndest things. It's very sad.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Shroud of Turin.    In The News - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 12:59 pm

A series of experiments conducted by Italian researchers indicate the Shroud of Turin is likely authentic, but the team has not yet reached a definite conclusion.

Decades of research on Jesus' proposed burial cloth have revealed an array of conflicting ideas surrounding the shroud's authenticity. However, researchers from Italy's National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development believe their findings undermine previous theories that the shroud was faked in the medieval period, the Telegraph reports. The new claim seems to be stirring controversy again, as many point to previous research to the contrary.

Last year scientists were able to replicate marks on the cloth using highly advanced ultraviolet techniques that weren't available 2,000 years ago -- or during the medieval times, for that matter.

Research in the 1980s suggests the image was "forged" on the cloth between 1260 and 1390, but scientists have determined the hypothesis was based on testing material from a patch likely used to to repair the cloth after a fire, the BBC reports.

Since the shroud and "all its facets" still cannot be replicated using today's top-notch technology, researchers suggest it is impossible that the original image could have been created in either period.

However, scientists are willing to point out the flaw in their findings. The Vatican Insider reports:

Read the rest here.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/20/shroud-of-turin-jesus-burial-cloth-authentic_n_1161363.html?ref=religion&icid=maing-grid7%7Chp-desktop%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D121982
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Can the dead talk to us?   In The News - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 1:01 pm

Kathy's late husband, Dr. Lee Lipsenthal, wrote a book about dying called Enjoy Every Sandwich: Living Each Day As Though it Were Your Last, published last month by Random House ($22.)

My husband Lee Lipsenthal didn't believe in coincidences. Instead, he believed in synchronicity -- what Carl Jung called the "coming together of inner and outer events in a way that cannot be explained by cause and effect and that is meaningful to the observer."

Whenever I'd remark on the coincidence that a patient I'd been concerned about showed up in my clinic or that a friend I'd just been thinking about called me out of the blue, Lee would smile knowingly. "Is it really a coincidence?" he'd ask. "Or is it synchronicity?"

I was always the scientist, wanting to see physical proof before believing in something that I couldn't explain logically, but Lee was always able to trust in things he couldn't prove. Not only did Lee believe in synchronicity, but he also believed in signs, past-lives, and the power of dreams.

In fact, he told me many years after we were married that before we ever met he had a dream in which he was standing at a wedding altar next to an Asian woman with long, dark hair. On the first day of medical school, as soon as I walked into the hall for orientation, he had recognized me as the woman from that dream. (Never mind, of course, that I had a boyfriend at the time and wasn't all that interested in the nervous guy from New Jersey who was my academic competition.) But he believed in that vision so powerfully that he waited patiently for me; it was a year before we kissed. And then, before beginning our third year of school, we were married.

Was Lee's dream and my attending that particular med school merely coincidental? Or were they synchronous events? I was never entirely sure. I just didn't believe the way he did.

Lee had always been intuitive; he always seemed to know things before they happened. It was an aspect of him I'd attributed to his meditation -- being tapped into something larger -- and that I'd appreciated and even embraced. But when he began to explore past life regression, I thought that my stable physician husband, the medical director of a research institute, was losing it.

I tried to understand. I read Brian Weiss's Many Lives, Many Masters, about Weiss's experience with a patient and her past-life regression. I listened as Lee patiently taught me about Carl Jung, Stanislav Grof, and many other psychotherapists who have written much about spiritual crises. I learned that many people going through difficult moments in their lives had spiritual awakenings, some of which included past lives but all of which included the awareness of the "bigness" of the universe. But was I a true believer? Not exactly.

Then Lee passed away from esophageal cancer in September. My son and I wept in the car as we left the hospital. The car stereo was tuned to NPR, and the hum of freeway traffic added another layer of sound. Through the veil of our shared misery, we suddenly became aware that there was another sound emanating from my purse on the floor of the passenger side of the car.

I reached in and pulled out Lee's iPod. It had turned on spontaneously--and as most of you who own these ingenious electronic Apple devices are aware, it is not easy to accidentally turn on an iPod. The song playing was Heaven Weeps. Just a few weeks earlier, Lee had mentioned out of the blue how much he liked that quirky song. I told my son the story, and he just smiled, shook his head and said, "Oh, Dad!"

When we had been told the devastating news that the Lee's cancer had metastasized and that there were no curative options, I tearfully asked if he could send me a sign when he died. Was this it? I still wasn't sure.

It makes sense that I felt Lee then, as Jung noted that synchronicity is more likely to occur when we are in a highly charged state of emotional and mental awareness. That's why times of trauma or turbulence -- as with a death or birth -- can push us towards openness and vulnerability. We're also more likely to experience synchronicity when we are in a receptive mindful state, as is the result of meditation.

It turns out that I was not the only one who had had visits from Lee. His publisher told me how the lights in her hotel room flickered on and off when she came out to California for Lee's memorial celebration. Lee's long-time colleague was conducting a workshop in Italy in his stead, and when she turned on her computer to begin her Powerpoint presentation, a photo of Lee popped up on her computer screen. She hadn't looked at that photo in years, and it had never been her screensaver.

Could this really have been my Lee trying to tell everyone he was all right? Was he having a little fun with us from beyond?

Although I profess to be a skeptic, I am also open-minded, and I truly, desperately want to believe that there is something out there greater than all of us. I want to believe that after death our soul/spirit will continue on, that there are more journeys for us, and with each journey, more lessons for us to learn. I find myself asking -- as the Peggy Lee song goes -- "Is that all there is? Is that all there is, my friend?" I want to feel hopeful throughout my life and into death.

Lee was the love of my life, and I miss him every day. These signs have been a huge part of helping me heal. Is it wishful thinking on my part? Maybe. But I'd like to believe that Lee is letting me know that he's out there watching and waiting for me.

The thought lifts me up at times of despair and grief. Since his passing, I've been practicing meditation more, and learning to be more open and present in the moment.

After all, just in case that is Lee, I don't want to miss any of the signs as they appear.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-changlipsenthal/life-after-death-synchronicity_b_1160653.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Chp-desktop%7Cdl6%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D121806
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Fembots a reality.    In The News - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 1:03 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/vicki-larson/robots_1_b_1150679.html?ref=divorce&icid=maing-grid7%7Chp-desktop%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D121886

LMAO. Well at least you could program her or him not to talk back.
Back to top Go down
Skycastle

Skycastle

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Beautiful, touching article. :pale: For whatever reason, some people like to attribute certain events to a power greater than themselves, without acknowledging God, just as Lily attributes things to "the universe" in How I Met Your Mother. "Synchronicity" is another such attribution, and if it is true, then there must be a controlling force behind it. And since supernatural forces do exist, and they can at times manipulate things in our lives, it must come from them.

Unfortunately, since both good and evil supernatural forces exist, it can be difficult to distinguish which side is responsible for certain events. One one side we have God and his angels, who want to help us, on the other Satan and his demons, who want to confuse, deceive, and ultimately destroy us. Fortunately, God has given us a lot of information about the afterlife and spiritual reality and truth in his book to mankind, the Bible.

This is where we must turn when it comes to otherwise unknowable spiritual truths, such as whether or not the dead can talk to us. Although this will go against much of the grain in New Age and recent thinking in America, for example Crossing Over with John Edward, or Oprah, the answer is no.

The dead are not allowed to contact us, and spiritism and channeling are forbidden in the Bible, so we are not supposed to try to contact them. The reason we shouldn't try it is because it won't work. Instead of contacting the dead, we would contact dark beings bent on deceiving and hurting us; beings who often pretend to be dead relatives. It's easy for them, because they roam freely all over the planet and can know the personal and intimate details of our lives. So pretending to be a dead relative, or a dead person from the distant past is easy for them.

They can also influence the thinking of people who have been opened to their presence, such as through Tarot Cards, Ouigi Boards, seances, or relatives and family members who practiced such things. This explains why some people think they're lived in past lives, which is impossible because that's not how God does things. The Bible makes it clear that "It is appointed to man to die ONCE, and after that to face judgment." So as much as it might be fun to entertain such thoughts, there are no past lives.
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: The Jetson coming to real life?   In The News - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:08 am

The Jetson coming to real life?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/29/opinion/dietrich-plane-that-drives/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

You have got to watch the video.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 1:50 pm

Car planes have been around forever. I think they first started coming up with them right after WWII. This one does have an advantage in that its wings are attached all the time instead of being a separate module that needs to be attached to fly.

Here's one from 1956...
In The News - Page 2 Aerocar-N103D-Flying-Plane-Car-Single-Engine-Auto-Fly

Car planes aren't very Jetson anyway. George flew a hover craft style UFO not a plane. This craft is more Jetson style...

In The News - Page 2 Flying_car
Back to top Go down
Pissedoffvulcan

Pissedoffvulcan

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 2:38 pm

eber322 wrote:
Car planes have been around forever. I think they first started coming up with them right after WWII. This one does have an advantage in that its wings are attached all the time instead of being a separate module that needs to be attached to fly.

Here's one from 1956...
In The News - Page 2 Aerocar-N103D-Flying-Plane-Car-Single-Engine-Auto-Fly

Car planes aren't very Jetson anyway. George flew a hover craft style UFO not a plane. This craft is more Jetson style...

In The News - Page 2 Flying_car
At Fort Eustis they have a round one like that on display at the transportation museum they have there. It is pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 8:30 pm

Here is a flying car I took a few shots of a couple of years ago.

In The News - Page 2 P146909041-4

In The News - Page 2 P285873742-4

In The News - Page 2 P210102489-4
Back to top Go down
justmemyselfandi

justmemyselfandi

PostSubject: teenage driver kills father and daughter.   In The News - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 4:46 am

wreck

Do we really need to give these kids brand new high powered cars to play with. Shouldn't there be a way to limit the speed of cars that younger drivers drive.
Back to top Go down
Annoyed

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 7:22 am

You can't legislate a cure for stupidity.

And even if you did, it would be hard to come up with any kind of limiting system or governor that a determined teenager wouldn't be able to defeat. The only approach would be to produce severely underpowered cars that weren't limited but just didn't have an engine big enough to do the job. Good luck selling those.

The young do tend to take foolish chances when behind the wheel because it just hasn't sunk in yet that they can be killed. And I'm not claiming that I was immune from this brand of stupidity either. I started driving in the early 70's, at the tail end of Detroit's muscle car era, so there was an ample supply of hot iron that a youngster could get his hands on. I had several cars that could easily exceed 150 mph.

I think the only reason I lived through that period of my life was that I had been driving mini bikes, motorcycles and junk cars off-road since I was 5 years old, so by the time I was 16, I had already developed a very good skill set when it came to controlling a moving vehicle.
Back to top Go down
eber322

eber322

PostSubject: Good gravy, what an idiot!   In The News - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 11:45 am

Good gravy, what an idiot

Quote :
Car Strapped to Pickup Truck; Cops Not Amused

4/25/2011 (Updated 8:34:51 AM)

Trooper Brad Vargason got to make a memorable traffic stop Monday afternoon.

That's when he spotted a 1996 Chevy truck rolling down the road with a Ford Taurus in its cargo bed. The eye-catching rig was on Route 17 in Apalachin.

The driver, Scott Wade, was apparently taking the vehicle to Owego to be scrapped.

Wade told the trooper that he drove the car onto the bed of the truck.

The Binghamton man is being cited for driving an overloaded vehicle.

http://www.wicz.com/news2005/viewarticle.asp?a=18320

In The News - Page 2 6126

In The News - Page 2 Attachment

In The News - Page 2 Attachment

Last edited by eber322 on Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
justmemyselfandi

justmemyselfandi

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 12:20 pm

Sounds like my Brother-in-law.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In The News   In The News - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

In The News
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next