Sci Fi Forums
Adds should no longer Appear for members. Only guests.

Sci Fi Forums

scifi Forums

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Wind Farms National security threat.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pissedoffvulcan
Admin

PostSubject: Wind Farms National security threat.    Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:31 pm

Scientists say countless whirring fan blades produce 'blank spots' that distort radar readings, forcing government agencies like the Department of Defense to spend millions in a scramble to preserve their detection capabilities.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sciencefictionforums.forumotion.com
madskillz

PostSubject: Re: Wind Farms National security threat.    Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Scientists say countless posts without links are evidence of the decline and fall of Western Civilization.

Oh, and shens. I think.
Aren't wind turbines blades made of non metallic composites?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pissedoffvulcan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wind Farms National security threat.    Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:07 pm

madskillz wrote:
Scientists say countless posts without links are evidence of the decline and fall of Western Civilization.

Oh, and shens. I think.
Aren't wind turbines blades made of non metallic composites?
Sorry normally the link posts from that website. Here you go.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/11/05/wind-farms-disrupting-radar-scientists-say/?test=latestnews
Back to top Go down
madskillz

PostSubject: Re: Wind Farms National security threat.    Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:04 pm

So I read the story.

I don't understand why it affects the department of defense but not civil aviation?

Anyway, they have found ways around. So its no big deal.

I guess the war on nonpolluting energy continues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TRUE LIBERTY

PostSubject: Re: Wind Farms National security threat.    Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:27 pm

I have no idea if they cause radar problems or not but those god awful windmills are a blight on a landscape. Give me a coal plant any day instead of those inefficient bird killing windmills. I mean at least they dont have to cover thousands of acres and can be put almost anywhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
madskillz

PostSubject: Re: Wind Farms National security threat.    Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:11 pm

ssvs04 wrote:
I have no idea if they cause radar problems or not but those god awful windmills are a blight on a landscape. Give me a coal plant any day instead of those inefficient bird killing windmills. I mean at least they dont have to cover thousands of acres and can be put almost anywhere.

I would rather breathe cleaner air and see wind farms than breathe the emissions from a coal fired electrica plant.

To each their own. Except your way has been proven to be a health hazard to me and my way just gives you a view you don't like.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TRUE LIBERTY

PostSubject: Re: Wind Farms National security threat.    Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:13 am

Todays coal plants are extremely clean burning. We have one in the heart of Orlando and another just outside of the city. They have done air study after air study. The only thing it releases after going through scrubbers and filters in the air is steam. Our air quality is ranked as good the biggest problem being natural occurring ozone. Us being a tourist city we couldnt afford to have anything but clean air and bright skies. So I would rather have consistent reliable power without paying more because we have to cover thousands and thousands of acres to hope it can power a town. There is no comparison which is worse for the environment and nature and just a plain eye sore as far as the eye can see when your around them.

And this one sits right smack dab next to a upper class town/neighborhood I do work around all the time. What your seeing from a pic I took a few years ago coming out is pure steam.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pissedoffvulcan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wind Farms National security threat.    Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:08 pm

ssvs04 wrote:
Todays coal plants are extremely clean burning. We have one in the heart of Orlando and another just outside of the city. They have done air study after air study. The only thing it releases after going through scrubbers and filters in the air is steam. Our air quality is ranked as good the biggest problem being natural occurring ozone. Us being a tourist city we couldnt afford to have anything but clean air and bright skies. So I would rather have consistent reliable power without paying more because we have to cover thousands and thousands of acres to hope it can power a town. There is no comparison which is worse for the environment and nature and just a plain eye sore as far as the eye can see when your around them.

And this one sits right smack dab next to a upper class town/neighborhood I do work around all the time. What your seeing from a pic I took a few years ago coming out is pure steam.
The left does not understand coal is turned into coke. Then is burned which burns clean then you add the filters and scrubbers. Coal is the cheapest and is becoming cleaner by the minute.
Back to top Go down
eber322

PostSubject: Re: Wind Farms National security threat.    Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:21 pm

One thing that should be done is building power plants on oil fields. All oil fields have an overabundance of natural gas, so much so that most of it is simply burned off without providing any benefit. If they'd use it to power steam turbines it would at least be useful.

...the only part of the criminal law that doesn't apply to reporters is the death penalty, at least since 2002, when the Supreme Court decided in Atkins v. Virginia that it's "cruel and unusual punishment" to execute the retarded. - Ann Coulter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
madskillz

PostSubject: Re: Wind Farms National security threat.    Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:49 pm

eber322 wrote:
One thing that should be done is building power plants on oil fields. All oil fields have an overabundance of natural gas, so much so that most of it is simply burned off without providing any benefit. If they'd use it to power steam turbines it would at least be useful.

Wow. My head is exploding from reading these posts.

For 30 years the electric industry and their allies the Republicans fought tooth and nail against any attempt to clean up coal fired electric plants.

Current "clean coal" electric plants are SUBSIDEZED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. And in fact, they are not clean. They are cleaner then old ones, but not clean. They still produce mountains of sludge full of every bad thing known to man.

And, of course, it has been part of the Repubican Party platform for over 30 years to allow coal fired plants to not put in new technology on old plants. However, they also want to be able to add capacity to old plants and be exempt from any of the newer type standards. Which would basically mean very, very few plants would actually be improved.

So, if your idea of a good idea is government subsidized power plants that procduce mountains of poisonous sludge, which by the way, is dumped anywere convenient, and that still pumps out radioactiviy equivalent to a three mile island every year, have at it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
eber322

PostSubject: Re: Wind Farms National security threat.    Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:56 am

Why are you quoting me if you're not responding to what I posted? There's a box at the bottom of the screen to type your comments in without hitting the "quote" button.

...the only part of the criminal law that doesn't apply to reporters is the death penalty, at least since 2002, when the Supreme Court decided in Atkins v. Virginia that it's "cruel and unusual punishment" to execute the retarded. - Ann Coulter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
madskillz

PostSubject: Re: Wind Farms National security threat.    Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:10 am

eber322 wrote:
Why are you quoting me if you're not responding to what I posted? There's a box at the bottom of the screen to type your comments in without hitting the "quote" button.

I forgot to put in my reply to that.

I was going to make a snappy remark about what a great idea. Maybe we should move cities next to farms?

Moving natural gas is incredibly inexpensive. And transmitting electricity long distances wastes some of it. And natural gas is not only used by electrical plants. It's cheaper, easier and more economical to just send the natural gas to where the electrical plants and other users of the gas are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eber322

PostSubject: Re: Wind Farms National security threat.    Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:17 pm

madskillz wrote:

Moving natural gas is incredibly inexpensive. And transmitting electricity long distances wastes some of it. And natural gas is not only used by electrical plants. It's cheaper, easier and more economical to just send the natural gas to where the electrical plants and other users of the gas are.

The initial cost of laying pipeline to move gas is very expensive. Almost every place already has electrical towers close by. Of course other places use Natural gas, and natural gas is already sent to some power plants. The point of my post is that 90%+ of natural gas from oil fields is burned off on site just to get it out of way so they can get to the oil. It's used for nothing and wasted. Whether it could better be used on site, or sent elsewhere to be used doesn't really matter. Point is it should be used rather than wasted.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TRUE LIBERTY

PostSubject: Re: Wind Farms National security threat.    Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:25 pm

madskillz wrote:
eber322 wrote:

Wow. My head is exploding from reading these posts.

For 30 years the electric industry and their allies the Republicans fought tooth and nail against any attempt to clean up coal fired electric plants.

Current "clean coal" electric plants are SUBSIDEZED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. And in fact, they are not clean. They are cleaner then old ones, but not clean. They still produce mountains of sludge full of every bad thing known to man.

And, of course, it has been part of the Repubican Party platform for over 30 years to allow coal fired plants to not put in new technology on old plants. However, they also want to be able to add capacity to old plants and be exempt from any of the newer type standards. Which would basically mean very, very few plants would actually be improved.

So, if your idea of a good idea is government subsidized power plants that procduce mountains of poisonous sludge, which by the way, is dumped anywere convenient, and that still pumps out radioactiviy equivalent to a three mile island every year, have at it.

No what they fought is the heavy ridiculous regulations put on these plants and the ability to build new ones making the price to run them so heavy by government burdens they have to be subsidized.

40 percent of that waste caught by the filters goes to the construction industry. The rest is not just put anywhere but put with our lined waste dumps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wind Farms National security threat.    

Back to top Go down

Wind Farms National security threat.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1